Chapter Two

The Suburbs - Mr Little Jeans

Payton, Now

A shiny red truck pulls to the curb outside Philadelphia International. The driver blares the horn twice, and I pick up speed. Photographers line the sidewalk, keeping a respectful distance.

They shout my name, asking for details on last night's game, or what my Christmas plans entail. Other travelers stop to watch the commotion. When they recognize my face from their television screens, they join the fervor for an autograph. I ignore them, making a beeline for my ride.

I'm just trying to make it home in time for the festivities.

Tossing my duffel into the truck bed, I hop into the cab. Aidan slaps me on the back by way of greeting. He peels into moving traffic, flipping someone off who had the audacity to honk at him.

"You pack light," he grunts, glancing over his shoulder at my bag.

"I still have shit at my pops' place," I answer, squinting out the window at the rising sun. "Thanks for picking me up so early. I thought there'd be less chance of being recognized on an overnight flight."

"You're the youngest quarterback to win the Super Bowl. There's no avoiding your fanbase, Saint Arlington."

Normally, I hate when people call me that. But with Aidan, I know it comes from a place of admiration. On the alternate hand, Aidan's significant other, Olivia, uses it to tease me. Sometimes, she adds a bow and says, "I'm not worthy."

"How are your girls?" I ask, watching Aidan come to life as he speaks about his reasons for breathing.

"Kendall decided she wants to learn the saxophone. Naturally, my ears haven't stopped ringing in weeks. Bella and Josie both have molars coming in, but they're handling it like champs. Josie learned how to do a front flip in Gymboree, but Bella won't let go of Liv's legs long enough to socialize with anyone."

In high school, a horrendous miscommunication led to Aidan dropping me from his life. Instead of just losing my best friend, I lost what felt like my entire family. I don't think the Reeves realized just how much I relied on them for stability. Luckily, Mason reached out to guide me through college and, eventually, the world of professional sports. Years ago, it was Olivia who managed to reunite me with Aidan.

Since then, I've enjoyed watching my two friends form a life with each other. They have a farmhouse on the Delaware River, and it seems as though they're racing against an invisible clock to fill it with children. They already have Kendall, their ten-year-old, as well as twin girls, Arabella and Josephine. Currently, Olivia is seven months pregnant. I'm exhausted by association.

"What have you been eating, dude?" I ask, just now realizing how huge his arms are.

Aidan grins, his white teeth shining from behind his beard. "Anything and everything. I love not having to follow an NFL-approved diet."

Aidan used to be smaller than me, with lean muscle beneficial to a wide receiver. He's now the manager of his family's lumber company, and has truly donned the blue-collar role. He's wearing a black T-shirt, a flannel, and denim jeans. Muddy boots rest on his feet, and a G-shock watch is strapped to his thick, hairy wrist. He's a real-life lumberjack—or, as his eldest used to call him, a beast.

"I'm glad you could make it home for the holiday, bro," Aidan says.

"Thanks for inviting me."

"You're always welcome," he reminds me. "Fred, too."

My intestines twist in discomfort at the mention of my father. "We'll see if he's up for it."

Aidan's gaze drifts. His hold on the steering wheel tightens, and a line forms between his brows. "You haven't seen Grace in a while."