Chapter One

The following day, everything seemed normal. I woke up to the sound of chirping birds outside my window. The warm sunshine filtered through the blinds and illuminated my bedroom with a golden glow. I got out of bed and followed my usual routine, feeling the soft carpet beneath my feet as I walked to the bathroom. After brushing my teeth and hair, I got dressed and headed to the kitchen, where I could smell the sweet aroma of the freshly made hot apple cider. The steam from the mug wafted up to my nose, and I could feel the warmth of the mug in my hands as I took a sip. I grabbed an apple for breakfast and headed out the door, feeling the cool breeze on my skin and the sun's warmth on my face.

Walking down the road towards Hadnew Elementary, I could hear the distant sound of children playing and laughing. Taking the last bite of my sweet apple, I threw it away. As I walked by, the colorful flowers along the sidewalk swayed in the gentle breeze. I could smell the sweet scent of the flowers and the freshly cut grass. The world seemed so peaceful and calm.

But then, it changed instantly as I saw a small boy named Miles Murray playing with his ball. He threw the ball to his friends, Sara Brown and Randy Andrews. The ball flew over Randy's' hands and rolled into the middle of the street. As Miles sprinted to get the ball, my heart raced with fear. Suddenly, a small car appeared and put on the brakes. I knew it would not stop in time.

The screeching of the car's brakes was deafening. ""SCREEECH""

"Nooooo!" I screamed and held my hands out.

The world around me froze instantly, and every detail became clear. At first, I was shocked, but then I sprinted towards Miles, scooping him into my arms as I felt the wind rush past me. As I get out of the way of the car, the world around me unfreezes; the ball flies over the car and bounces along the pavement. As I set Miles down on the side of the road, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. Sabrina, Miles's' mother, sobs were the only sounds I could hear. She ran over and hugged him, checked him over, and thanked me repeatedly. Tears streamed down her face as she hugged Miles tightly.

"Thank you! Thank you! You saved my world. I am forever grateful. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"" She sobbed and squeezed my hand tightly.

The gasoline smell filled my nostrils, and I could see the tire tracks on the pavement where the car had skidded to a halt.

"I am just glad that he is okay and I was able to get to him in time," I replied with a shaky voice.

Sabrina wiped her tears and looked at me with gratitude. "You are a hero. You risked your own life to save my son. I don't know how I can thank you enough."

I smiled weakly. "I am just glad that everything turned out okay. Please take care!"

I will! Thank you again. Lilly. You are my hero," Sabrina said, hugging Lily once more before returning to Miles.

After everything was over, I felt numb as I walked to school. The colors around me seemed muted.

I can't stop thinking, "What if I had not gotten there in time or was not fast enough? Why did everything freeze when I put my hands out?"

Hadnew Elementary is a small school and one that I love profusely. Emily Miller is the principal and a great friend. She has made it her mission to make this school a second home for everyone. She wants this place to be where they come to learn and be valued. Every morning, Emily welcomes them with a warm smile.

Once I got to school, I went to my classroom and took a deep breath. Emily walked in, and her concerned expression when she saw me was the only thing that snapped me out of it.

"Hey, Lily, are you okay? You did not wave or look at me when you walked in?" Emily asks.

"I am okay; I had a heart-stopping event on my way to school. I guess I was just overwhelmed."

She shut the door, sat in front of me, and stated, "Tell me what happened."

As I explain what happened, I see fear, relief, and, strangely, curiosity, which she quickly hides.

"I am so glad that you and Miles are okay! Please let me know if you need anything. I am always here for you!" Emily Responds

"I am fine. I am just glad that everyone is fine! Thank you for listening!" I respond.

She looks at me with curiosity in her eyes, then leaves.

The day goes on without any problems. At the last recess of the day, as I am watching the students play, Maggie suddenly starts falling off the monkey bars. My heart drops, I throw my hands out, and the world freezes again. I quickly catch Maggie in my arms and set her on the ground. As I put her on the ground, the world unfreezes.

"Thank you, Ms. Jones," Maggie says, running off to play.

I have a strange feeling about how the world froze again, just like with Miles. Miles runs up to me and grins, "Ms. Jones, you're a hero. You saved me and Maggie this morning."

He gives me a warm hug and runs away to play with Maggie.

After my students get picked up, I return to my classroom. All I can think about is that I need to get started on preparing the lessons for next week.

Emily walks into my room and asks,

"Hey, how are you holding up?"

"I'm fine; today's just been weird." as I say this, I bump my glass of water, and I gasp.

I threw my hands out to grab the cup, and the world froze again. The glass cup is in the air with water droplets frozen in the air. Emily looks at me curiously as I grab the cup, and the world unfroze.

"Did you just see that? This is what happened with Miles and Maggie today." I say, confused and startled.

Emily gives me a knowing look and states, "Lily, sit I have alot to tell you."