Chapter Eleven

I WAS skeptical when I noticed where Sarah was leading us, but decided to keep my mouth shut as I believed this was the last place they would think John B would be at

"We can hide in here," Sarah said, shining a flashlight onto the list board in the front yard. Glancing back, I watch as two lights curve around the road.

"You sure this place is empty?" John B asks as I usher them to the front porch.

"Yeah, it's Rose's listing." Bending down in front of the lock, she spins the numbers. "Zero, two, one, five. My dad's birthday."

"Typical," I utter as she grabs the key and shakily unlocks the door. I flinch when I hear raised voices saying to check the street we were currently on.

Ducking inside, I plant my butt on the floor to the left of John B with Sarah on his other side, who rushes to lock and turn the light off.

I hold my breath, tilting my head back with closed eyes as footsteps pound up the stairs we were just on, light filtering through the windows in the door.

"All right. He's probably headed over to the cut." Muffled voices become distant as I look over at John B, who's already looking at me. I give him a nod towards the stairs.

"Let's go upstairs," he suggested, pulling the two of us up to the second floor. We come to the master bedroom that overlooks the street and I gasp as I spot Rafe and Kelce also looking for John B. I step back a bit to remain unseen as Sarah looks out.

"I can't believe that's my brother," she mutters with a sad undertone. I give her hand a squeeze before turning to the bed once the two individuals leave the road, heading towards the Cut.

"Come on, we can sleep in the closet so we're not out in the open," I say, ripping off the comforter and grabbing some pillows.

John B helps me lay them out while Sarah keeps watch in case a wandering person comes by.

"I think I should try and find Kie, JJ, and Pope. Help them get the boat for you guys," Sarah says after we explain the plan for tomorrow. "You guys should stay here as long as you can."

"Hey, be careful, okay. Especially when leaving. Someone could still be out there." I grab her hand to let her know I'm serious before giving her a hug of gratitude.

"I will. Try to sleep you two." She gives one last nod before disappearing downstairs.

I turn to John B and slip inside the big closet, closing the sliding doors behind us. I give him some water and an energy bar, which he chows down on, instantly. Sarah was kind enough to leave the flashlight with us in case we needed a bit of light. After drinking a good half of my bottle, I lay down and turned the light to the ceiling, my eyes widening at the art splayed out in front of us.