Chapter 8

Summer turned into spring, spring turned into autumn, autumn turned into winter, before summer came peeking around the corner again. Seven years. Seven years had passed by.

Inside a room dimly lit by the morning sun, a tall man can be seen changing into a black-fitted armor. He tied a few red ropes around his waist and arms, before he put his black gloves on. He then took a katana displayed on his armory table and slide it into the sheath hanging from his back. He also grabbed a black mask and put it on his face. After making sure he was properly dressed, he checked himself briefly in the mirror. A handsome man with amber eyes return his cool and aloof gaze.

With casual steps, Hayabusa exits his room. He walked along the corridor of the Shadow Sect, bathe in the morning sunlight. As usual, he already has a destination in mind. In such a refreshing morning like this one, a warm cup of tea should be in order. Just as Hayabusa was about to take a turn to the kitchen, he heard a familiar voice call out to him.

"Hayabusa!"

He turned around, meeting eye-to-eye with a warm and friendly gaze. He sighed. The owner of the voice scoot closer to him. "Good morning! Looks like you woke up late again," Hideyoshi teased, and Hayabusa simply rolled his eyes. He was about to ignore him and simply leave, but Hideyoshi stopped him mid track. "Woah, woah, hang on there. I reckoned that you're probably heading to the kitchen to have some breakfast, right?" he asked with a playful tone.

"Yes, and before you ask; no, I want to eat alone," Hayabusa replied coldly and began walking again. Hideyoshi quickly catch up to him, this time blocking the pathway with his own body. "Wait, wait! I have a proposal to make!" he quickly spoke. Hayabusa folded his arms together. "I'll listen for 5 seconds only. 5...4..." before he could proceed to count, Hideyoshi cut him off.

"Oh please, have a little empathy for your brother here, will you?" he placed his hands on his waist, frowning. Hayabusa rolled his eyes again, but this time, it's followed by a chuckle. "Fine, fine, what do you want?" he asked. Hideyoshi smiled behind his mask. "I want...to eat breakfast with you today! And you don't get to say 'no'!"

Hayabusa was indeed about to say 'no', but Hideyoshi's body was faster. He linked his arms with Hayabusa and dragged him. "Ugh, can you take me like a normal human? Why do you feel the need to link arms like this all the time, it's embarrassing-"

"Shush! We're brothers, what's the problem?" Hideyoshi casually shut his brother up. "We're brothers, that's the problem," Hayabusa replied. Still, he let Hideyoshi drag him wherever Hideyoshi wants to. At the end of what feels like endless dragging, was a table set under a cherry blossom tree. It was the end of summer and the beginning of spring, and as known in the Scarlet Shadow, spring means a lot to them indeed.

Hideyoshi gestured for Hayabusa to sit on the opposite side of him. The table was small enough for the two of them. Upon seeing the setting, Hayabusa scoffed. "What's with this fancy decorations? It's none of our birthdays," he said. Hideyoshi ignored him as he began to prepare the breakfast in front of them. Hayabusa knew that Hideyoshi will unlikely give him an answer unless he sits down, so sit down he did.

As if reading his mind, Hideyoshi immediately spoke the moment his brother took his seat. "If we need to wait for our birthdays to have a good breakfast like this one, it only means that we didn't appreciate the rest of our days enough," he spoke as his hands gently lay out the morning delicacies. After he finished pouring out tea into both of their glasses, he looked at Hayabusa with tender eyes.

Hayabusa scoffed once more. "If we celebrate every day like our birthdays, then our birthday will lose its special meaning, no?" Hayabusa replied as he took off his mask and begin to take a sip of the tea. Its warmth went smoothly down his throat, and he can't help but sighing in contentment. A good tea is a good morning, indeed.