Chapter 3

Falls raked her ears back against her head, frustrated at the sun piercing her eyelids, announcing a new day. It's not that she didn't like waking up and doing her responsibilities; it was one of her favourite and fulfilling things to do. It was her job. But the days that dragged by along with the killer waking up peacefully every day just like this one itched her skin. Whoever it is doesn't deserve to play along in kingdom life knowing well what they do without even thinking about the consequences.
Her claws retracted as a sound came from outside her den, and she quickly shot up, licking her chest fur as she caped her tail around her paws neatly, ready to present herself.

"Advisor?" somefox called.

"Come in."

Yosemite appeared at the entrance with her sister, Mystic, at her side. "I heard about the encounter yesterday. I want to offer my help in the case."

Her request finally awoken the fox completely, surprise welling in her chest. Leaf shot a quick distasteful glance at her sister, who cringed, knowing why she wasn't pleased; she wanted the case to be kept low-profile, and all information only shared between a trusted circle. She didn't want their progress shared all across the kingdom, aware it could end up alerting the murderer.
Her sister just couldn't keep her jaws shut.

"I appreciate your offer, but I must refuse; we have plenty of foxes helping with the case already. I needn't bother another-"

"But it wouldn't be a bother for me," Yosemite cut in eagerly. Slightly disrespectful, but Leaf let it slide as there were more important matters to discuss than manners towards authority. "Just seeing the kingdom now, it's all so very dull. I remember how summers used to be, the clearing buzzing like bees, the Athlos, having fun day and night in a safe kingdom. Where everyfox knew each other like one big family. Do you remember that, Falls?"

Those words formed sunny memories in her mind, the best times of her kithood sweet as the honey she and her friends harvested yet as bitter and sharp in contrast to the chaos of the kingdom she now leads. The realisation daunts her every waking second. It's all on her shoulders. She yearned to give everyfox the kingdom she once knew and make the fox responsible pay the price for the souls and trust they've snatched ever since the first incident.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to take in one more fox to help.

"Fine, you may help. But no more foxes need to know, got it?" Leaf directed the last sentence to Mystic.

"We'll keep it confidential. I promise," Yosemite bowed before slowly padding out of her den. "Feel free to call me for any assistance. I'll be waiting."

Mystic lingered hesitantly, eyes flicking around the leaf-scattered floor.

Leaf watched her curiously, slightly concerned. "Is there something the matter?"

A few straining heartbeats passed before her head shot up, "Yes, yes I'm fine! I'm sorry I told Yosemite, but I trust she will do good. It'll...be faster this way."

Her tone was completely out of character for Leaf, causing a rising panic. Was she too harsh with her? Well of course she was! All she wanted to do was to help, and it's not like she told the whole kingdom. And it was true; they could definitely benefit from Yosemite's wits.
She didn't know the vixen well, especially since she wasn't much of a talker, but when she did, all eyes were on her. A respectable fox indeed.

Leaf weaved around her sister, stroking her spine with her tail, "I apologise for my strictness recently, you're doing very well. Especially along with Jumping."

A smile creased on her face, "Yeah, we both make good detectives."

"Really good detectives. How is your morning so far?"