nine

.𖥔 ݁ ˖☾𖤓.𖥔 ݁ ˖

CHAPTER NINE: WHALE OF A TALE BOOKSHOP

AS SOON AS ELEANOR LEFT THE BEACH, she drove straight to the only bookshop in Cousins where she knew Dylan would be waiting for her

Whale of a Tale Bookshop was owned by Vanessa Bennett, sister to Valerie Carter/Bennett, aka Dylan's mother.

Last year when Dylan had visited Eleanor in Cousins, he stayed with his aunt Vanessa. Now he was staying the entire summer with his mother and aunt. Eleanor never met Vanessa, but she knew Dylan's mother, Valerie, very well.

As soon as Eleanor walked into the bookshop, she was immediately greeted by a woman at the register with tan skin and brown curly hair.

"Good morning! If you need help finding anything just let me know!" The woman says with a bright smile.

"Actually, uh. . . do you know Dylan Carter? I'm supposed to meet him here," Eleanor says as she walks up to the register.

"Oh my goodness, you must be Eleanor! I should've known by the blonde hair and blue eyes. I'm Vanessa, Dylan's aunt! He's told me so much about you," Vanessa says, making Eleanor blush a bit.

"All good things I hope," the girl responds as they shake hands.

Vanessa smiles before saying, "only good things, dear."

When they let go of each other's hands, Vanessa points behind her and says, "he's in the back room. Let me go get him for you."

Eleanor thanks the woman before she leaves, and when she does, she looks around the shop, taking in the aesthetic of it all.

Soon enough, footsteps are heard and Eleanor looks to see both Dylan and Vanessa walking into the shop.

"Hey, you made it!" Dylan says as he walks up to Eleanor, the two of them sharing a quick hug. "And I see you've met my aunt Vanessa."

"I did, and yes she's amazing!" Eleanor says with a big smile as Vanessa places her hands over her heart and mouths a "thank you" to the girl.

"Why don't I show you around? I know that you're excited about that new Hunger Games book," Dylan says as Eleanor quickly nods her head.

The both of them then go around the store, Dylan showing her all of the different categories of books and genres that they had.

"And here we are, Dystopian," Dylan says as he searches around until he finally finds what he's looking for.

"Here it is, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. It's got your name written all over it El," he says with a smile as he hands the girl the book, excitement written all over her face.

"Oh my god, I can't believe you guys have it! I've literally looked everywhere in Boston and not a single bookstore had it," she says in disbelief as she looks at the book in her hands.