Chapter 10

* + + *

By this time, the sun was beginning to set, and this is when we split ways. We were in Matt's car, parked on the road near the beach.

"Okay, we'll split up for a few hours, then meet again around ten. Remember, okay you two?" Este stated.

"Savvy." I said. Rowan gave her a thumbs up.

"Alright, get out of my car." Matt teased.

Rowan and I slid out of the back seat and watched as they drove off.

"Now I finally have you all to myself." Rowan grinned, leaving a kiss on my forehead.

"Finally." I agreed.

We walked down to the beach and looked for a spot, but it had gotten pretty crowded. It usually was around this time in this area.

"I know a more quiet place." Rowan prompted.

"Really?"

"Yeah. Those neighbors I helped paint for, they live on a fancy private part of the beach. Most of them are really old, so they don't go out on the beach often."

"Sounds good. How far is it?"

"Not that far. But let's get going, we can't waste any more time."

We walked down the shoreline to the quiet area of the beach Rowan was talking about. It was further than I expected, but we got to walk together and pass conversation, so I didn't mind. We had our shoes in our hands again, walking through the shallow end of the water to get there.

At one point, Rowan stopped walking and looked down to the sand. He reached by his feet and picked up a seashell, handing it to me. I looked at it lying in my hands. It was a unique shaped shell with vibrant colors.

"It's really pretty." I smiled at him.

"Pretty shell for a pretty girl." Rowan grinned.

He was so cheesy sometimes. But I loved it.

"How about tomorrow, just you and me go surfing?" He suggested.

"I would love that." I gushed.

Finally, we made it to a nice spot. It was emptier than I imagined.

"No one really comes around here because the tide gets too high at times. That's why there's barely any houses, and why they're so far back." Rowan explained.

Rowan sat down in the sand, close to the ocean's shore line. I sat down close next to him, and he pulled me even closer, like he always seemed to do. He left his arm around me. His skin was warm and felt nice against mine. We sat in silence for a moment, enjoying each others company.

Rowan's Pov:

Eileen and I were sitting close to each other, watching the sun melt behind the ocean, just like we have a few times before, and I hope many times after this.

I was happy Eileen had started to realize the love around her. From me, and from the others. I think spending time with all of us is slowly getting her out of her shell. It's like she has layers. I think after Eileen spent her whole life with a wall to protect her and staying as strong as she could, she's only now realizing how much love she's full of.

Since the night we met, I knew I'd fall in love with her. I'd thought a lot about her since then. I loved her long tawny brown hair, the freckles that ran across her nose onto her cheek, her sea blue eyes, her independence, the way she carried herself, the way she talked, and her smile.

But I was patient since I knew everything was so new to her. Like trusting, touch, and probably even love. Eileen was so beautiful, a different kind of pretty. I could tell she had a warm heart, and was just trying to survive in this world, even if she was by herself. She was like the same inside as I am, from the same kind.

I wanted to be the one to kiss all her scars, give her all the love she's missed out on her whole life, be there right beside her. 

I wanted to ask her every question I could ever think of, know everything about her, and tell her everything about me. I just want her.

Eileen looked over to me, but I was already looking at her. My heart melted a little every time I saw her smile. I liked being the reason she was smiling. I wanted to show her how much I adored her. I held her face in my hand, and waited so she knew what I was about to do. To make sure she was okay with it happening a second time. Eileen was hard to read sometimes.

She didn't move, only gazed deeper into my eyes. Her eyes were like the bluest of skies, the middle of the ocean blue, and had this sparkle to them.

I met my lips against hers, and she kissed me back. Eileen put a hand around my neck, pulling me even closer, which I wasn't sure was possible. My thoughts became only Eileen, my heart full of only her. Our kiss grew deeper and more passionate. She tasted of wild cherries and almost like saltwater. I've only kissed her twice now. And I wanted more of her. This is what finally felt right, being next to her. It was like we both felt our kiss in our hearts.

I think we filled the hole of what was missing in each others lives.

Eileen's Pov:

After realizing this morning that I truly liked Rowan, and wanted his kiss again, I was glad when he did tonight. My heart felt warm and I thought this must be what being struck by lightning felt like. I learned I really did have love to give, but it was buried under anger, strength, and my determination to survive. But Rowan so easily brought it right out of me. It meant a lot.

Rowan was someone who understood everything I said, even the things I didn't say. He showed me I was capable of feeling love, and maybe giving it back too.

I hugged my knees to my chest and laid my head on Rowan's shoulder, appreciating his company. And the both of us watched the rest of the sunset, and as the sky grew dark, next to each other in silence. Just the sound of the waves crashing in the distance.

"Want to go night swimming?" I asked Rowan after a while.

"That'd be great." He agreed.

We got up from our spots on the sand, and began to walk into the water right next to one another. It was weird, because we usually always raced each other in.

It was only the moonlight providing us light over the beach now. We probably weren't supposed to be here this late, but this side was so empty, so dark, no one could see us anyway.

The water was cooler now, but from my heart racing and heat zipping through my body, it felt nice on my skin. Rowan and I swam out until we were neck deep then faced each other.

The waves were a little rougher this time as they passed, moving in a hypnotic motion, moving us closer to each other. Our knees would touch every now and then.

Rowan took my legs and wrapped them around his waist like he'd done before. Except this time, it felt more affectionate. I put my arms around his neck and admired his golden brown eyes. We looked at each other a while. I moved his long hair out of his face, then slowly leaned in. Rowan met me halfway, kissing each other so sweetly. We gained more confidence with each other, and our kiss grew longer. His tongue brushed my bottom lip and I let him in without a fight, his tongue now tangling with mine. 

We pulled each other closer, and in the blue ocean, under the brightest stars, we loved.