THE FIRST NIGHT

KASHIBAI'S POV

"Should I also bring a glass of plain milk without adding turmeric for you" I looked at my sasu Aai who felt tired after the whole day.

"Naahi" (No)

The reply came.

Before I could have said something else, she started speaking.

"You know the talks about your first night have been done and the astrologer has given the consent for today" she asked me out.

I looked at her, with a shy smile and blushed cheeks.

"There's nothing to worry about Sun Bai (Daughter in law ) this phenomenon is very normal. Every wedded couple get their own private chambers and bed. There's nothing new that's going to happen to you. Apart from being a wife, a daughter in law you are also the future Peshwin Bai hence forth it's your duty to look after the future of the whole empire. Which means that apart from all the other responsibilities you have one more additional responsibility of giving the future peshwa to this kingdom" she said pressing her lips.

"I get that Aai saheb. And I also know that I am more than a wife and daughter in law. Everything that you have taught me since childhood has made me realise my responsibilities and I have always looked forward to working for it. I have made sure to never disappoint you in this matter and I will never do anything to make you feel bad" I smiled at her.

"Kashi you are just not my daughter in law or daughter you are much more than that. Someone whom I have looked for as the future of this empire. The day I decided to have you as my daughter in law I had made a vision that you are that shield which will be used in order to protect this empire. If I have raised Rao as a warrior then I have also raised you as the strongest pillar to hold him strong" And she patted my back.

"Aai Saheb I know all this and I respect every decision of yours" I hummed.

"Now go back in the chamber and get ready for tonight" She pressed my hands and smiled.

.
.
.

"Tai Saheb have you thought about it? I mean are you excited? Nervous any other reaction?"

"I have dreamed about it, you know even before I could have thought about it and knew how all this happens, how to summarise it all. The only thing I knew was that one day, this day will come. I am not saying that I craved for this day, the time when we will get our own private chamber. But I can't deny that I wanted time, the time which husband and wife share with my Rao. He was with me like a friend and confidante till now. But knowing you are married, certain things....make place in your life a way ahead." I looked at Rakhma who was busy listening to my shitty blabbers.

"Out of the whole context the part which I got to understand was that you crave for him, his touch, this day. But Tai saheb did you guys ever confess about this love? You can remember if Rao said something to you regarding all this ever?" She looked at me with wide eyes.

"Rakhma the time when I married Rao I was just eight, and surely for an eight year old girl..the love existed only in the world where her mother and father belonged. I didn't have any idea about, what's going to happen next. And as much as I remember ours was a political alliance so he also never got time to think. Unlike you and Chimmaji saheb we didn't get much time together to spend. Out of all the time we got was some evenings when all the kids of the wada got collected, and we just used to look at each other. Somedays he would bring sweets for me like he did for everyone, someday he would make me swing in the verandah under the mango tree. And even during those little times we didn't have the courage to talk about any sort of confession or love." I replied.