Arrivals (Spring 16)

XVI.

The city of Gladeban was seemingly peaceful, with copses of clay orange tiled rooftops and towering wooden buildings against the forest surrounding the gushing river and sprawling grasslands. Madoka could see fields of Commoner food growing around the city's northern border, with meager strands of Knotting weaving towards small rocky walls serving as fences. The river spread out to a field further beyond, where a massive city looked over seemingly everything. Madoka's interest waned in sightseeing. That was another place for Audrey to cause trouble in later. The weather was fair to her skin, despite the setting sun getting blocked out by the Leyline's floating debris.

"Adventure awaits, huh," Audrey muttered. She blushed when Madoka glanced at her.

Eraziror hummed along, seemingly in his own world and not listening. The horses remained excited, but the maid knew better to break the silence. Slowly, the gates drew into view. What must have been an enormous beast's jawbones covered its studded walls, and like a true animal the gate swallowed wagons whole. Madoka felt her new iron tag. She hoped the identification would pass.

The guards at the gate ignored them when Eraziror waved, their faces impassive. Their spears might as well been straws of wheat to the maid. Their silence was fine by Madoka, since she hated talking. A gasp of awe sounded from Audrey as she took in the sights. Rows of buildings similar in style to Livertorjan's own lined up, but to her right the river flowed through freely. Thoughts of birds lined up on their orange rooftops, laced with gossip she has yet to discover. She was glad her magic and abilities were improving, otherwise the cacophony in this town would drive her mad.

The wagon was headed to the Adventurer's Guild, according to the Sovos. They moved expertly, but that was to be expected. Soon, they approached what appeared to be a large courtyard, with enough open space for all the wagons here. A large warehouse structure  was situated next an even more imposing building, lined with more monster bones and holding the Adventurer's Guild symbol. That is what Madoka assumed, but she could not read it anyways. That warehouse must be what Koj told her, the area where they sell monster parts to. She shifted her attention elsewhere, feeling something off about the atmosphere. Right, the princess was unusually quiet! She turned to the girl, but her attention was on a strange caravan ahead.

"That insignia... That hawk with swords on its feet and beak..." she muttered.

"A Warring Company. Company A, that is. They've been crowding the markets here for some time," Eraziror sighed. "I was hoping they'd get out of here but looks like they're still mucking around here. Have you bad memories of them, Milady?"

"No, I just recognized them from my books," Audrey mused. As the caravans parked before the Adventurer Guild's yard, a man hopped out of the front one. Madoka got a bad feeling from him. That aura and blonde hair, the way he pompously held his stance and his dress meant that he was a Noble. She felt her sword's hilt, but the princess peered back at her and made her uneasiness disappear with a reassuring look. She adjusted her hood, then yanked Audrey's hood completely over her head with a scoff.

"I feel the same way," Eraziror scoffed, but Kanys stretched and Armor was already moving to the back. "No offense, to you Nobles, heh."

Audrey hopped off the wagon, evidently trying to copy that noble's stance, earning a glare from Madoka. You don't look cool doing that, she mouthed to her protests. The princess tried doing his pose again, but looked foolish instead.

"What are you doing?" Arudite yawned. She curled her hair back, and looked sleepily at Audrey as Ilalune straightened her robes out. It appeared that both her and Madoka had a commonality through their confusion with the princess's antics.