18.𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒕

Sunlight shone through the window when I opened my eyes. It took a couple of seconds for my eyes to focus. I was no longer burning. I felt fine, except for the smell of my sweaty body. That bothered me.

When I moved my hands, I detected skin. I turned my head and found Rowan sitting on the ground, his head leaning against the bed frame, and his right hand lying on the top edge of the bed.

Boldly, I grabbed his hand and squeezed it. "Rowan, wake up. It's morning already." I said.

While I kept squeezing and shaking his hand, I realized he must have cared for me the whole night. His white shirt was unbuttoned, and the sleeves were rolled up. His honey-blond hair was messy and turned to every side.

With my other hand, I brushed the back of my hand against his cheek. His skin was soft to the touch like it was made out of cotton.

When I brushed my hand multiple times against his cheek, he slowly began to wake up. His head rose, looking a bit confused, like he forgot where he was staying.

I greeted him with a smile, even though I must have looked extremely horrible. My hair was greasy, and my body was sweaty from the fever.

Oh yes, the high fever I had. Rowan was so kind and even changed me into my pajamas. He totally saw me naked-

"Did you see MINE? And MINE!!" I threw my hands like a maniac on my breasts and down on my intimate part.

"WHAT?" I heard Rowan shout at me for the first time. For some reason, I thought angels couldn't get angry. "Of course, I didn't." He claimed.

"Then how is it that I'm not in my old clothes?" I demanded.

Rowan sighed and roamed his fingers through his messy hair. My gaze wandered to his open shirt for a second.

"Your grandma changed your clothes, not me. I was waiting outside your room."

Oh.

Ohh.

I facepalmed myself, and I could feel the heat form on my cheeks. At that moment, I wished Death would just take my soul and save me from this embarrassment.

"I'm so sorry. I always assume the worst." I burst out. "Stay for lunch," I added, moving my gaze to my hands as I couldn't keep looking into his eyes.

Rowan chuckled in his low voice. His hand landed on top of mine. I snapped my head at him and met his gorgeous, full smile. His teeth were sharp and snow-white.

"Is this your way of apologizing?" He asked.

"Kind of?" I laughed it off. I still have huge holes in my communication skills, and I mean enormous.

"I still don't understand how you got so sick. Today you'll stay in bed for the whole day."

No matter how much trust I put in him, I couldn't bring myself to tell him that Death came and made me this sick. I'd have to admit I took my pendant off, and I really didn't want to get scolded by Rowan.

"Ohh, and I talked to your boss already, and he said you can have a day off," Rowan said, and that brought me back to reality from my thoughts.

With such a beautiful smile, he, of course, persuaded my boss to give me a day off. But when I asked him for a vacation, that wasn't possible. Unfair.

"I don't know how to thank you properly for helping me. Not just with my fever, but with Death as well."

I know he's an Angel, so he's obligated to help those in need, but nevertheless, I still wanted to thank him. Do people thank him when he helps them? Or is he only helping me?