Loud Silence - Part I

INT. HOME AUBREY - NIGHT

It was Saturday night for the Aubrey's. A small dining room, lightened by a yellowish and weak old lamp, a short and vaguely dark wood table, usually occupied by four starving adults, all filled with nothing but unstable words of silent despair. That day, diner took a little more time than usual to be served, you could tell that their routine was somewhat perturbed. The room was drowned by anxiety. The family, who, at that point in time, was collectively anxious for the microwave's annoying but conveniently settling beep.

MARRY
*Takes a deep breath*

As Marry tries to make somewhat of a slight intervention, in hope that the heavy scent that involves the room goes away. Adrian, who was slowly drifting away from his lonesome reality, gets lightly kicked under the table by his dad.

JOHN
So, son, tell us about your week! Are you
liking your classes? Are they boring? You
didn't skip any classes, right?

*Laughs after his last syllable*

As Adrian forcefully comebacks to this reality, he wakes
up, showing no interest whatsoever in his dad questions.

ADRIAN
*Sight and stays in silence*

The mood seems to tighten up, everything in that room is surrounded by the tense aura that a single silent answer eradiated. Not even Lynda could bring a single word from the back of her tongue. Everyone was stuck in a silenced loop, and the only way out was the inevitable microwave alarm. They all seem to look at the clock in meaningful yet short turns, hoping that time proves himself generous and kindly hearted.

*beep*

MARRY
Looks like our treat is ready to serve!
Adrian, make sure you eat a lot, tomorrow's a
big day for you, and I want you healthy.

*laughs*

As Marry takes out the ready once frozen meal from the microwave.
Lynda reaches out to an almost empty bag of chips that was laying in the middle of the table.

MARRY
Again, guys, I'm sorry for not making dinner
tonight, but work was quite heavy today.

LYNDA
Next time, just talk to me, I'll help aunt marry!

MARRY
Oh sweetie, you're such a big help, but you're
also tired, just forget about today, eat and
rest, you also have a big day tomorrow!

As the helpless woman continues to serve dinner, everybody on the table maintains the previously established tense silence. There's no signal of a smile, smirk or even of a single head
nod.

Diner was finally served.

END OF SCENE

INT. LOCKS HOUSE – MORNING

TANIA
It's getting late Nora, come downstairs or
I'll throw away the whole breakfast.

Nora was still filling her backpack with her notebooks - she only had two -, one for the classes and another one just for her drawings. They were always filled with bright colors, inspired by nature and characters from her favorite TV shows. On the other hand, her school notebooks weren't that much filled, it didn't seem like a priority of any sort for her.

INT. AVA'S HOUSE – MORNING

Ava was still getting out of bed, already looking tired as if it was the end of the day. Silent as always, she decided to make breakfast and eat it next by the window in her room, alone, well, not alone, just her and Von, who slept with her every day, who waited energetically by her awake every morning, who coexisted by happiness, the happiness that infected Ava every day. He was the source of her energy, the catalyst to her daily existence. There they were, looking through the window while sharing the jam sandwich that Ava made, happy.

END OF SCENE

INT. LOCKS HOUSE - MORNING

TANIA
You're always like this! Did you pack
everything?!? Don't you have a test today?!? I bet you studied for one hour and then spent the whole night listening to music...
ah... Nora, you need to be more responsible, you
know that I want you to be happy, but you also
need to study.

HARRY

                                                                *Enters the living room, rushing*

Sorry guys, I'm late, again.

*laughs*

TANIA
Again? Don't laugh so much, you know how your
boss can be sometimes. Next morning, I'll wake
you up...

HARRY
I know I know; I've just been a little tired
lately. I promise I won't be late to work from
now on, honey.

                                                                                            TANIA
                                                                 If you say so... Good luck, sweetie.

                                                                                            HARRY

                                                                                          *shouts*

                                                                          BYE, I'LL SEE YOU LATER.

TANIA
Oh! I forgot about your brother, Nora, please,
go wake him up. I'm sure that boy's still
sleeping.

*sigh*

END OF SCENE