Chapter 2: The Mayor's Dilemma

As the day further progressed, Razkune, the mayor of Reynoso, was growing ever more impatient. It seemed as if she was one step away from a disaster. Despite being in a prosperous town with a lovely underground lake, the place still litters with crime and poverty. She knew that if she was to get her pas to support her again, tonight would have to go perfectly. She turned to her left where fragile paintings were hung of the king, who is expected to arrive this afternoon. "Be careful, those are very fragile, hang them over a little to the left. No, to the right!” The frame was moved according to the mayor’s command, moving in a disjointed manner. “Perfection! Now hurry up! Keep moving! We need every pa we have for today!” The mayor looked around, moving scatter-brained across the mansion. Trying to find order, she continued making commands. “And where is that record keeper? She was supposed to be here an hour ago. Where is she? I need her right this second.” Suddenly, as if she knew that she was being summoned, a small statue entered through the castle doors. “I’m over here.” Ranla entered, gracefully and carefully moving so that her uniform, administered by the king, would not be damaged. “Ah! Ranla.” The mayor said in an uncomfortably soothing and satisfactory tone, “How glorious, you came! How was the trip?" Ranla, trying her best not to show any emotion, responded with a resounding, “Pleasant.” Razkune beamed with excitement. “Excellent, excellent! I can’t wait for this historic moment to be caught in perfectly wondrous detail.” Razkune looked around the place, inspecting everything she saw down to the tiniest detail. “This place seems to be… polished." Mayor Razkune grinned, "Come along! Let me show you around." Razkune, looking around once more, shrugged her shoulders, "Sure." 

Excitedly, Mayor Razkune turned Ranla’s attention over to the white tables that were in front of her. They were placed low to the ground and had a few elegant pillows placed around each table for the guests to sit on. “Well then, welcome to the castle! As you can see with our state of the art tables and chairs, this is the dining room." "Question." Ranla raised her paw, "Why is the dining room so close to the front door?" "Well, our castle is quite far away, I'd assume that feeding them early would be the best time to 'swallow up' any potential complaints." Razkune giggled to herself. "Get it? You see because, well, you also swallow when you eat." "Yes," Ranla quietly responded, unamused at the remark, "I get it." "Hmm, speaking of food, would you like something from our kitchen?" Ranla thought for a moment and shook her head, "No thanks. I like my meals in private." "Aw, that's too bad. You're missing out on some lovely kanishas." "You mean the stale plant?" Ranla said disappointedly. "Don’t be so dismissive. I assure you, all of our plants here are grown straight from the local garden." "Are you saying that you only eat plants here?" Ranla asked. Mayor Razkune tried to keep her composure, “Oh, why yes, all the food prepared here is grown straight from our garden.” The mayor grinned, “After all, it’s easy to sell and it removes the risk of hunting above the ground.” Ranla groaned and shook her head, “I’m sorry but this will not do. The king prefers to eat meat above all else.” “Oh, I know.” Razkune responded in agreement, “That’s why I have made a special request to bring in some raxos specifically for your highness. Don’t you worry your silly little head about it.” Ranla shifted her head, “Correct me if I'm wrong, mayor, but usually a thriving town has a wonderful assortment of hunters and food to please their guests after they have begun the early festivities. This seems too lackluster for your highness to be seen in.” Mayor Razkune began to grit her teeth, “Leave the decorations to us, recordkeeper. It’s not your place for you to boss me around.” Ranla nodded, “My apologies, I was not intending to be insensitive.” “Well,” the mayor said, “I will accept your apology for now.” “Very well.” Ranla responded, “However, I am also employed by the king to give my advice, be sure you respect my role as well.” The mayor looked at Ranla with cold, dead eyes, “I will be sure to note that, let us move on. Maybe the dance floor will change your apathetic mood.” Ranla sighed, and started to make mental notes about her initial encounter. “It seems hospitality runs thin in this mayor. Perhaps I should note that next to her ego.”