Chapter Thirteen

"Carrie, I need you to breathe

"Carrie, I need you to breathe. Can you do that for me?"

Carrie tried to get her breathing under control. She'd been hysterical the whole way from the cabin to the hospital. Tears continued to spill out of her eyes, but at least the hysteria had subsided. Now, the occasional sob made its way out of her mouth, causing her to squeeze her eyes, pressing her lips together. Piney's blood had dried on her clothes and hands long before they rushed him into surgery.

Getting her emotions in check, she met David Hale's blue eyes before throwing her arms around his shoulders. "Thank you," she whispered, repeating it like a chant. She squeezed him in a way that kept her tethered in the present so her mind wouldn't keep reliving what she had witnessed.

"Do you need me to call anyone?" David softly asked. "Jax, Opie, or anyone else from the club?"

Carrie tensed before shaking her head. She needed to wait and see if Piney made it before alerting Jax or Opie. Besides, she was sure they were still caught up in whatever they were doing. Calling would only cause them to worry and get distracted. If Gemma was called, she'd call Clay, and he was the last person she wanted to see.

"Thank you, but I just want to see if my dad makes it first," Carrie answered, breaking the hug. "They're going to have questions I don't have the answers to right now."

"Let me know what I can do for you," David said, keeping his eye on the woman with whom he'd had a brief relationship.

"Carrie, I heard about your dad," Mackenzie said, interrupting whatever she would have said. "Come with me so you can clean up. You can borrow a pair of my scrubs to change into."

	"Have you heard from Carrie this morning?"

Jax put out his cigarette and shook his head. "I was going to head up to the cabin in a few minutes. I just stopped by to meet with Chibs."

"It's fine. I'll head up there to pick her up. That way, I can stop in on the old man. I'll call Carrie to let her know. You go see what Chibs wants," Opie motioned towards the open garage bays, where Chibs was waving Jax over.