Chapter 10

Naturally, the person personally selected by Wen Guo Gong for his grandson would be very capable. Zhang Shiquan was so experienced and so careful that it really took him only a day to sort out all the books.

“I have already sorted out all these ledgers.” Zhang Shiquan had a well-thought out plan, “If Young Master Hou and Shaojun feel uneasy, you may look through it again. However, not to boast but I have been balancing books for more than 30 years and I have not made even half an error.”

Lin Qingyu nodded. “You have worked hard.”

“Manager Zhang is amazing.” Lu Wancheng raised his eyes and motioned to Hua Lu, who immediately stepped forward to give Zhang Shiquan the reward he had prepared in advance — a heavy bag of silver. “I expect there to be a follow-up to this matter. Please stay in Nan’an Hou Mansion for the time being.”

Zhang Shiquan bowed and said, “By Young Master Hou’s orders.”

As soon as Zhang Shiquan left, Lu Wancheng’s straight back immediately drooped. He lay on the table, looking at Lin Qingyu. He made as if to speak but stopped.

Lin Qingyu flipped through the finished ledger and said lightly, “If you have something to say, just say it.”

“I said to leave it to me but you still didn’t believe me.”

His tone sounded a bit accusatory.

It was a pity that this sort of move was useless on Lin Qingyu. “And indeed, it wasn’t you who dealt with it. You asked someone else to deal with it.”

“What’s the difference?”

“You can’t always rely on others for everything.”

“Why not? I gave him money. It’s a win-win situation.”

“Then, when you’re too lazy to eat, to sleep, or to marry a wife and make children, will you also have someone deal with it for you?”

“Make children, you say?” Lu Wancheng pretended to fall deep in thought, “En… it’d be great if I didn’t have to move myself.”

Lin Qingyu didn’t understand what Lu Wancheng was talking about. When he understood, he got up suddenly, his face burning. “I didn’t mean that!”

Lu Wancheng smiled and raised his eyes. “Then what did you mean?”

He merely wanted to say that there were things that one needed to do by oneself. Only a lecher would associate that with some other thing.

Lin Qingyu looked down with drooping lids at the lecher leaning against the table, and said, “You’re hopeless.”

In the blink of an eye, it was the day when Liang Shi was to check the ledgers.

Liang Shi got up early. As before, she sat in front of the mirror to dress and make up. Behind her, Liu Momo was putting her hair in a bun.

Liang Shi suddenly felt the pain of hair being pulled from her scalp and she cried out in surprise. “What’s the matter with you? After a month of hard work in the garden and you can’t comb hair anymore?”

“Madam, forgive me. Forgive me, Madam.” Liu Momo bowed and scraped. She lowered her head and wiped her tears. From out the corner of her eye, she looked at Liang Shi, trying to gauge her expression. “To tell Madam the truth, this servants is nearing sixty and was made to endure such hardship. These hands have held a broom for an entire month and is now tasked with holding Madam’s jade comb. This servant is afraid of dirtying the Madam’s things.”

Liang Shi smoothened out the hair near her temples and said, voice deep, “You are my trusted aide. Punishing you was depriving me of face. You have been wronged. Today…” The corners of Liang Shi’s lips ticked up, “Let’s see.”