Chapter 1

I walked a little way down the worn dirt path from my house to the gate. I leaned against the post. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath steadying my nerves. "Are you okay?" I turned to see my older brother Rian approaching. He was in good spirits. "Yeah, I think so. I just couldn't believe that Lady Grace is becoming erratic and cold," I say. He studied me for a few moments and replied, "You know you're not to state things like that, right?"

I rolled my eyes. "You really think she's worried about me saying she hasn't been acting like herself?" I challenged. He shrugged and retorted, "I wouldn't want to take the chance." It was my turn to shrug. I wasn't too worried about anything. She has made it clear that I wasn't really a member of her family. She didn't have much of a choice but to take me in. I knew that, giving the opportunity, she would have tossed me in the river.

"You really think that she would have gotten rid of you?" I hated how much he knew what I was thinking or feeling. He always was more tuned into me. I never understood it. My other brother and sister and my father weren't as close to me. I thought he wouldn't really care about me as much one he found out about my little secret when I was younger.

He found me behind the barn with a young man in from the next farm over. He didn't want his family to know, and I was hoping not to alert mine. That's the main reason we wanted to be behind the barn. There was a small enclave that the adults didn't know. We built this without their knowledge. This is where we went when we needed a break from the family. Rian decided this was where I would be hiding, but he wasn't expecting me to have company.

He caught us kissing. Not many people do that too often. At first, he appeared appalled and confused. I originally thought he would report me to the family. Instead, he only blinked a few times to clear his head and gather his thoughts. The friend Xavier jumped to his feet and looked scared beyond measure. I stood in front of him. "I see you are being protective," he said casually that night. I really thought he would lash out in disgust.

"Rian what are you doing here?" I asked him. He explained that the house was looking for him because they had matters to discuss. "Are you going to tell them?" I asked. He studied me for a moment. "Are you two involved?" he asked, looking between the two of us. "I'm not sure. We aren't, but I will say I do like him. I just don't want problems," I tell him. He only winked. "Don't worry. I can keep this secret, but I'm not sure I feel okay about this," he confessed.

"I know. Two guys are not normal," I reply curtly. Rian only shook his head. That's not what I mean. I will say I'm not sure how to feel about it because it's not casual, but I will say that you're my brother and I will love you regardless," he assured me. I couldn't understand why he wasn't disgusted or turning us in. After that, we became closer. The others saw it, but when pressed, we wouldn't answer them. They didn't like being left out of the family gossip.

Looking back at everything, I was glad he found me instead of them. I am also thankful that the others don't know. I fear how they'll act. His question brought me out of the past memory. "What are you thinking about?" I shook my head and focused on him standing next to me, leaning against the fence. "Just the past month. I haven't seen Xavier since that night. I've tried searching for him. I went to the local market and haven't seen him. I'm worried," I confess.

"What about his parents?" Rian asked. "They were there, but they didn't say anything. His mother glanced at me and glared for a second. I'm not sure if it was directed at me or not. I'm just not sure what is happening," I tell him. He nodded and looked away. "You know something?" I asked him. He didn't meet my eyes for a while. He took a shuddering breath and then turned to me with steely eyes. "I don't know what I know. I've heard rumors of the surrounding farms being attacked or abandoned. I think it's what was supposed to be the topic of tonight," he said.