Grounded: The President's Decision to Save Lives

It was a cold and dreary day at the White House, and I found myself sitting in front of the President of the United States, nervously fidgeting with my hands. As an engineer for one of the nation's top aircraft companies, I had never imagined that I would be sitting in the Oval Office, urging the President to make a decision that could potentially change the course of aviation history.

"Mr. President, I understand that this may sound extreme, but we need to take action immediately," I urged, trying to convey the severity of the situation.

President Roosevelt rested his chin on his folded hands, deep in thought. "Explain to me again, why we need to destroy all the planes that have mysteriously crashed," he requested, his piercing blue eyes studying mine.

"It's simple, Mr. President. Our newly invented aircraft, the ones that use a revolutionary propulsion system, are malfunctioning in mid-air and falling from the sky like bombs. We have no explanation for why this is happening, and I fear that it could have catastrophic consequences if we do not act quickly," I explained, my voice shaking with a mix of fear and urgency.

The President's expression turned grave, clearly understanding the implications of what I was saying. "How many planes have malfunctioned so far?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.

"Thirty-one, Mr. President. And unfortunately, we have lost the lives of twenty-four pilots and crew members," I replied, my heart heavy with sorrow.

"How is this even possible? We have conducted multiple tests and simulations, everything seemed to be working perfectly," the President questioned, his frustration evident.

"That's the thing, Mr. President. We have no explanation for why these planes are failing. All we know is that they are, and we need to ground all of them before more lives are lost," I pleaded, hoping that the President would see the urgency of the situation.

President Roosevelt leaned back in his chair, deep in thought. "I understand the severity of this, and I will consider your recommendation. But I need to bring in my advisors and have a thorough discussion before making a decision," he finally replied.

I let out a sigh of relief, grateful that he was willing to listen and take action. "Thank you, Mr. President. Lives are at stake, and we need to act fast," I said, standing up to leave.

"Please keep me updated on any developments and I will do the same," the President said, shaking my hand before I left his office.

As I walked out of the White House, my mind was racing with thoughts and prayers for the safety of all those who were flying on these malfunctioning planes. I could only hope that the President would make the right decision and ground all of them before it was too late. The future of aviation depended on it.