How To Smile As Bright As The Sun

March 2006

Naomi Solace did her best juggling her career as a uprising country star while raising a demigod son.

Will didn't blame her for not always being there; he couldn't. Besides, wasn't it every kid's dream to be on tour, countless road trips from state to state?

Living it didn't seem so glamorous after all. He was stuck on the tour bus, with no one but his mother's manager to babysit him. The manager, Lisa, wasn't nice; she yelled at him when his dyslexia messed up her tutoring abilities.

Despite Will's dyslexia and ADHD, he's one of the top third graders in his class. Well, he was before his mother toured.

Once his mother started touring, she started to homeschool him. Mostly, it was his mother's staff and band members who taught him. Most of them were cool and patient with his learning disadvantages; only Lisa gave him any trouble.

Will wished to see his mother perform, but knew she wouldn't let him. During the first few weeks of the tour, he begged to go backstage to watch, promising he'd be a good nine-year-old boy and stay silent and still while she performed. She declined every time, saying it would be too dangerous for him, and that she'd rather have him somewhere safe with someone she trusts.

And she trusted Lisa; there was no reason not to trust Lisa because Will hadn't told his mother about the cruel remarks Lisa constantly barked at him.

The hours ticked by as he abandoned his paper and crayons for the city's view. Lisa occupied herself by watching a movie on a portable DVD player.

Will gazed out of the window of the bus, the Nashville lights light up the night sky, covering the stars with its light pollution.

Will was lost in his thoughts; he didn't hear his mother come back on the bus until he felt her hand on his shoulder. He was pulled away by his mother's hand as she led him outside to catch some fresh air.

She did this after every show, and Will knew what she was going to say next. "Will, I'm sorry. I know how much you wanted to go, but it's not safe out there."

Will nodded and forced a smile, "It's alright, mama. I get it."

She knelt down to be at his height and pulled him into a hug. "You're such a sweet boy. I'll make you some sweet tea before bed. It's going to be a long day of travel tomorrow."

_______________
May 2007

Will and Mr. Oak rushed up the hill, twenty feet behind them; a hellhound.

This is all a nightmare, Will thought. He'll wake up tomorrow back in Texas and go to school. His social studies teacher, Mr. Oak, will have two regular feet.

In his dream, Will couldn't take his eyes off the two hooves his teacher had for feet. Mr. Oak lost his shoes somewhere in the chase.

His teacher gasped in dismay. Will didn't have the energy to ask what was wrong; his lungs burned with exhaustion. Can lungs burn in a dream?

The top of the hill was getting closer, a tall, sickly-looking pine tree stood at the peak. The hellhound quickly closing the distance between them.