BOOK ONE: STRANGE STORIES

ONE

"Look at this one, Edward!" Helen cried. "It's beautiful!"

Eddie Malone looked at the strange, variegated orchid and had to agree with her, it was indeed an exquisite flower, like many of the magnificent specimens abundant in Kew Gardens. "Oh yes," he said obligingly, "Wonderful." Although the gardens were alive with spectacular flora from the far flung corners of the globe, Eddie's thoughts were not particularly concentrated on flowers. Kew Gardens is a popular attraction at any time of the year but in April is in incandescent bloom with seasonal plants. Today was a warm spring Sunday, and young ladies floated among the coruscating foliage like butterflies with parasols and feathers, often escorted by ardent young men dressed in any one of a series of conservative styles with a peacock-feather adornment such as a stylish cravat, a buttonhole or hat, each one in his mind skilfully guiding his companion when in fact, the reverse was usually the case. And as often, the ladies walked in pairs or under the watchful eyes of chaperones. Eddie and Helen were no different among the couples browsing the gardens even though their respective fates would in time, cause the world and themselves to see them in a very different light. The weather was unusually balmy for the season, yet in truth walking around a garden was not Eddie's preferred manner of spending a Sunday, however Helen had suggested it with some enthusiasm and as Eddie was intent on becoming much closer to her, he had been unable to think of a better idea. Subsequently though, he had managed to gain Helen's approval further by suggesting boating on the Serpentine later. He felt himself on the threshold of a new chapter in his life and was unsure exactly what he expected or indeed , how he felt about it. Years before, at university in Dublin, he had been "Fast Eddie" Malone, a prominent rugby player and had even played for his native Ireland at one point. He looked back fondly on memories of that time, but looking ahead, he saw himself sailing into uncharted waters, albeit largely of his own design. Romance, possible marriage, children, a steady job, each one marking a stage in his transition from Fast Eddie to Steady Eddie, a paragon of modern virtue.

"My father is a frugal man," Helen was saying to Eddie. "He disapproves of debt and encourages savings. You remember when you came to visit and he asked you what would happen if all loans, debts and bills were called in at the same time. You said that in any such event you would be a ruined man."

"Well, yes." Eddie replied. "It seemed fairly obvious." There didn't seem to be much else to say. "He didn't seem to take kindly."

"Oh, don't worry, that's just his way. I'm sure it's because he finds those in work so much less fascinating than those who have no need of it."

"Does he disapprove of me?"

"Oh no, I don't think so. I suppose he feels you should simply save as much as you can for the future."

"Yes, the future." Eddie replied. "I had been meaning to speak with you about that....."

"Oh, in what way? You know, I do believe that we didn't ought to think too much about the future, personally. There are times when it's best to live in the present. Take today, for example. The weather is fine and I'm in one of my favourite pursuits..."

"Yes?" Eddie prompted eagerly.

"Yes indeed. I love walking in the parks and the sunshine, and I love the smell of the trees. It was so very kind of you to offer to take me boating today. I'm so much looking forward to it...."

"Jolly good­...."

".....And I so love a pleasant lunch, so I'm sure you'll have thought of something wonderful. Well, there must be a pleasant inn where you can take me ,of course!"