Midnight

The loud sounds of construction and car horns honking from outside the window startle me awake. The sun is peeking through the curtains shining right into my eyes. I groan and turn over away from the noise and light, pulling the blanket over my face. After a late night, thanks to my lovely yet loud roommates, I'm praying to fall back asleep quickly.

I hear chatter coming from the hall outside my door.

"You have to come! This has been in the works for weeks! You have no excuse!" shouts Logan.
He's probably talking about his art showing tonight. He moved with me to New York from a small town outside of Dallas two years ago, and his career is taking off much more than mine. He's undeniably talented and has a knack for getting people to like him within a matter of minutes. He's tall, handsome, has short black hair, and brown eyes. We've been friends since elementary school so we've seen all the good and bad of each other. I think of him like a brother and I know he considers me as a sister. After all these years together there's nothing that could come between us.

After some shuffles my bedroom door flies open- without any sort of warning.

"Kens, are you going to this thing or what?"
I groan and sink myself further into my bed. My head is pounding and I desperately wish I was still asleep.

"Hellooo? Why are you still in bed it's past noon?" Rylie plops herself next to me pulling at the blanket. I peep my head out looking at her staring at me with wide eyes waiting for my response. Her blonde hair sits atop her head in a messy bun and she's smiling at me in a teasing manner.

"Yes I'm going, and y'all were up 'till 4 in the morning last night so I don't wanna hear it"
I whine with a tired voice. Even though i was in bed at 10pm I didn't fall asleep until whatever company was over last night left.

She rolls her eyes and leaves slamming the door behind her.

Logan met Rylie from an ad online when we were looking for a place to live when we decided to ditch our hometown and start fresh. The two of them clicked instantly. They're both outgoing, good looking, and dramatic. They feed off of each others energy and would make a great couple if Logan ever decided he wanted to give women a try.

They continue bickering back and forth the way good friends do for another ten minutes before I decide that maybe I shouldn't lay in bed all day. I sit up and look at the state of my room. There's clothes scattered across the floor, empty water bottles taking up space on the dresser and bedside table. Random pieces of trash and paper scattered across my desk. I know I should probably get some work done today but I can't do anything until my desk is cleared and the room is clean, and I won't get around to any of that unless I've had a shower first.

I force myself up and stumble into the bathroom turning the shower on. I waste no time getting undressed and hoping in, knowing I've only got about fifteen minutes of hot water.

Rylie's parents own the townhouse so of course only Logan and I pay rent. It's got plenty of charm with the exposed brick and dark wooden beams across the ceiling. I've got the smallest room upstairs across from Logan. Rylie has the primary room downstairs. There's a living room with large windows and a kitchen that are furnished with mostly Rylies parents things with a few pieces of ours scattered throughout. Although the house is gorgeous, it needs some updating. Especially a bigger water heater.

After my shower I put on a robe and get to tidying my space. It doesn't take long considering the small square footage. I throw all my clothes in the hamper telling myself I'll get around to doing laundry some other time and collect all the trash in a bag setting it by the door for me to take out when I leave. With a clean space comes a clean mind and I can finally respond to few unread emails and get to work editing some photographs.