8

•Elysian Monroe•

       The sound of my front door opening jolted me awake, but a pounding headache prevented me from rising. I suspected it was Eileen.

Noises downstairs were followed by footsteps ascending the stairs. With a soft sigh, I propped myself up, mustering the energy for conversation.

"Ly!" she cried.

She leaped onto my bed and clung to me. I embraced her in return, racking my brain for memories of the previous night. What could have happened to elicit such a response?

She drew back, gazing up at me, then down at a note in her hand. She passed it to me, and I quietly read it to myself.

As promised, I called a tow truck to retrieve your car. I've also taken the responsibility of paying for the repairs. You'll be receiving a text sometime today to confirm the delivery. Make sure to eat something and take it easy.

-Akari

The memories came rushing back. After the accident, I had called her for help. Humming softly, I recalled my confession, then turned my attention back to Eil and sighed gently.

"When did you find the time to install a tracker on my car?" I inquired.

Part of me was eager for the answer, yet another part hesitated.

She remained silent, looking down, and that alone conveyed what I needed to know. It had been during the period I mourned Cassie.

I rested my hand on her thigh, and she raised her eyes to mine, anticipating anger. But thanks to Kari's echoing advice and my understanding of her motives, anger was absent.

"I'm not upset with you, kid. Just a bit taken aback. Does this mean you knew my whereabouts back then?" I questioned.

"I had actually forgotten about it until Kia mentioned an app she wanted me to use, so she could track my location during those weeks," she confessed.

"Why didn't you tell her?" I pressed.

"I knew the only reason you could have left was that you needed time, and I knew if I told her, she'd go running to bring you back. That's why I never blamed you for leaving; I knew you had your reasons. Besides, I was just relieved you were alive," she continued.

Absorbing her words, I realized she was safeguarding my secret—a secret she never needed to keep. With Kari's words echoing in my ears, I exhaled softly and drew my sister into an embrace.

"How did I get so lucky to have you as my little sister?" I murmured with a soft chuckle.

"I don't know, but you're right, you're very lucky," she replied, her laughter just as gentle.

We remained like that for a moment before she stepped back, climbed out of my bed, and headed towards the door. Turning with a smile, she asked, "Want breakfast?"

I returned the smile with a slight nod. She exited and descended the stairs. I sighed quietly, and rather than dwell on our conversation, my thoughts drifted to the previous night—specifically, to my confession.

Picking up the note, I read it several times. The fact that she had paid for the repairs was unbelievable. I sighed again; I disliked owing anyone, especially a debt born out of pity.

Checking my phone, I noticed a few texts from Kia inquiring if everything was alright and why I had called so early. I sighed once more, deciding to respond to her later. First, I needed a moment to concoct a lie.