Chapter Two

𝘴𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬𝘴 𝘧𝘭𝘺

"En, you made it!" Adan said happily.

Eden gave him a look. "You'd think I'd miss a movie that I paid for? No thank you. I'm fine wasting your money, but not my own."

"Hey," Adan said, feigning hurt again.

"You have a terrible poker face," Eden giggled, and Adan gave up trying to look upset.

"Well, let's watch it, then," Adan started towards the movie theater but Eden stopped him. 

"No popcorn?" she asked.

"Oh, alright," Adan grumbled, but he was too transparent. His grin gave everything away.

"Your treat, of course?" Eden added. She was a thrifty one and never spent money unnecessarily - especially when she could get Adan to buy it for her. Not that he minded. His family was rich.

She wasn't using him for the money, she just didn't get much pocket money in the first place. And if Adan could afford to buy her movie ticket for her, he could afford some popcorn.

Adan rolled his eyes. "I suppose I have to, don't I? Always taking advantage of me, you."

"I'd prefer to think of it as exploiting an opportunity," Eden said a little hotly. She was better at hiding her own emotions, and Adan looked concerned for a moment, thinking she might really be upset. But her easy grin found its way onto her face again, and he shook his head, smiling.

"Barbecue?" he asked.

"Your choice. It's your money."

"I'll get curry, then," Adan said, and she punched his arm like she'd done in the morning.

"Hey. You know I can't take spicy. Wait, hang on, neither can you, so go right on ahead."

Adan shook his head. "Almost had you fooled there."

"Never," Eden snorted, and he grinned at her. 

Adan shrugged, still grinning. He collected the popcorn and the two of them made their way to the cinema. On the way there, a girl and her boyfriend waved at Adan.

"Who's that?" Eden asked curiously.

"That's Jessica and her boyfriend, Norman. My classmates," Adan explained, and Eden nodded in acceptance.

They watched the whole movie before leaving so they wouldn't have to watch the credits. "En, do you wanna come to my house later?" Adan asked.

What? His house?! "Are you sure I'm welcome there??" Eden asked, alarmed. She was pretty sure his mother would kill her if she ever set foot at Adan's house.

"I... I know," said Adan sadly, "but we need to tell them eventually, you know? They have to know."

Eden bit her own lip. She'd had half a mind to tell her mother about their relationship, knowing her mother was neutral with Adan's family, only wary of them because they hated her husband and daughter, and would offer some good advice.

"But... Now? It's too early. I think we should wait until you move out first. Then, even if they disapprove... They can't ban us from seeing each other, you know? When are you moving out?" They were eighteen already, and she knew Adan had plans to move out of his house as soon as he turned eighteen. At least, that was what he'd told her when he was seventeen.

"Not enough savings yet," Adan grimaced. "At this rate, I'm only going to be able to move out when I'm nineteen or twenty."

Inwardly, Eden shuddered at hiding their relationship for another two years, but she could never tell her parents, knowing they would tell her to stay away from Adan.

"I can wait two years," Eden promised.

"Maybe you can," Adan said doubtfully. "But I can't. I love you, En, but hiding our relationship seems like a big burden. Wouldn't it be nicer if we didn't have to climb out through windows to see each other?"

"But, Dan... There's always the chance they'll disapprove." A very big chance, actually. Eden was sure her father would just smile sadly and say, whatever, but Adan's mother was a completely different story. The woman was terrifying with her grudges.

"They won't disapprove. How can they?" Adan asked, but Eden didn't share his faith. She sighed, burying her head in his chest.

"I wish everything could work out for us like a normal couple," she whispered.

"It can be," Adan promised, growing eager again. "I'll tell my parents I started dating my classmate, but that she didn't want them to know her name yet until we were serious. And then when I finally bring up your name, I'll say I forgot they hated you, and then yell at them because it's not right to hate a child because of their parents."

"A child?" Eden demanded slyly, poking him in the ribs.

"Ow. En, stop that. And yes, a child. Are you not?" 

"I'm legally an adult, Adan," Eden said patiently, "I am three days older than you. Remember?"

"Oh, right," Adan said, but she got the feeling he'd been messing with her.

"So... Maybe I won't come over. Not yet, anyway. I love you, Adan, but I think we should try my house before yours. My father doesn't hate your family so badly."

"I guess so," Adan said, still doubtful. "Well, see you tomorrow, then, En."

She grinned cheekily. "You're not dropping me off at home?"

"Demanding little chipmunk," Adan chuckled. "I'll drop you at the same place, two blocks down."

"Thanks," Eden smiled. The two of them got into Adan's car and he drove off.

He smiled at her, and her head started internally singing Sparks Fly - because she really did see sparks fly whenever he smiled.

And he had astonishing mint green eyes.