Chapter 2

Alisha

I took a seat next to my father, tightly clutching the letter and repeatedly scanning its contents. Why? Why did Lisha have to be so selfish?

"I can't believe she would do something so selfish!" I exclaimed, my frustration evident as I directed my words towards Lisha. "Doesn't she realize the impact this will have on us and our family? This is just so typical of her."

My father gazed at a corner of the room, his thoughts apparent. I could sense his concern about how to convey the news to the family and friends gathered in our home. More significantly, he grappled with the daunting prospect of facing Adil and his family, and the inevitable question of what to tell them weighed heavily on his mind.

"How are we supposed to tell Vaidehi and Adil Suryavamshi? I can't even fathom breaking this news to them. They've been unbelievably kind to us. How do we explain that Lisha has eloped just before the wedding and taken all the wedding jewelry Adil purchased for her?" my mother sobbed.

"What? She ran away with the jewelry too? Mom, Adil has spent about a crore on her jewelry! How could she do this?"

Aarrghhhh!

"This is so typical of her. She hasn't changed at all. She still makes foolish mistakes and creates mischief, leaving me to deal with the aftermath. But this time, it's not just me; all of us are facing the consequences of her actions. You have no idea how many times I've been blamed for the mistakes she made in school, and I had to bear the punishment for them."

"I had hoped she would have grown up by now, but she's still the same," I muttered in frustration. My anger surged, and I wanted to grab her, shake some sense into her, and demand why she was still playing with all of our lives, especially Dad's. Didn't she realize the potential impact on his health? It was baffling to think that she was my identical twin, yet there was nothing identical about us beyond our appearance.

As I continued venting about Lisha, my mother gazed at me as if she had glimpsed Lisha again. I paused my rant to see what had caught her attention.

"Oh! How did I not see this before? Alisha, we can still salvage the situation and uphold our family's honor," she exclaimed, wiping away her tears.

"How, Mom? Do you happen to know where Lisha is?" I asked, a glimmer of hope flickering. Perhaps we could reach out to her and persuade her to come back home.

"Yes," she said, guiding me towards the mirror on the wall. "She is right here."

My eyebrows shot up, and my breath hitched in my throat as I grasped the implication of my mom's words. No! This was not happening again. I refused to be a scapegoat for Lisha's pranks. I couldn't endure this.

"Mom! No. How can you expect me to do this? Do you want me to pretend to be her? There's no way Adil will believe it. He knows her well, and he'll undoubtedly recognize that I am not Lisha," I paced the room, pouring out my thoughts, and then stopped to express my objections before pacing again.

"And are you suggesting that I marry Adil in her place? This is wrong on so many levels that I can't even begin to explain. Please, Mother, we'll face the consequences of what Lisha has done by telling them the truth. I can't pretend to be her," I retorted.

Not again. I wouldn't be a victim again. I wouldn't take the blame for her mistakes.

"Alisha, baby, please try to understand. You are young and willing to face it, but your father and I are not. We can't fathom the accusations, the disgrace that will follow us if word gets out that Lisha has eloped from her wedding.