Jealousy

I had the most troubled sleep that night in Jonathan's bed. His face and voice kept replaying in my mind, stirring up a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. These newfound thoughts about him were incredibly confusing. He was undeniably beautiful yet so puzzling. Was he merely looking after me out of guilt for my injury on his watch, or was his concern genuine? His secret experiments left me feeling uneasy as well. I looked at the clock on his nightstand to see it read 8:00 A.M. and there was a note right next to it.

"Good morning Y/N, I hope you had a restful night. If you're reading this, I've already left for work. Take the day off; you deserve the extra rest. Feel free to stay as long as you'd like. Don't wait up for me, I'll be working late.

- Jonathan"

I was a bit relieved that I didn't have to face him. These conflicting feelings made me even more nervous around him than I already was. I got up, made his bed and changed out of his clothes, leaving them folded on his dresser. Before leaving, I grabbed a pen and paper off his desk and wrote him a thank you note and that I would see him at work tomorrow. I spent the remainder of the day in my own head. Trying so desperately to snap out of it but was unsuccessful.
The day had gone by in a blink of an eye and I had fallen asleep. I woke up the next morning feeling less distracted than the day before and got up to get ready. I had a slight mark on my neck from the cut I had endured from the knife, so I chose to cover it with a turtleneck dress.

Typically, I'd loathe the idea of having to go through files all day in silence but after the events that had occurred, I wouldn't mind it

Typically, I'd loathe the idea of having to go through files all day in silence but after the events that had occurred, I wouldn't mind it. For today at least. I still desperately wanted to prove to Crane that I wasn't a scared little girl. I wanted to show him my knowledge and skills.
My taxi had arrived at the asylum earlier than usual this morning so to kill time I walked to the employee lounge and started to make myself a pot of coffee. On my way, I noticed there was more guards than usual today. All armed with guns and wearing more protective gear than normal.

"Y/N!"

I turned to my left to see Lucas walking towards me with a smile on his face.

"Hey"

Was all I could muster out at the moment. Along with a small smile. I wasn't in the mood for awkward small talk.

"I- we, me and Margret, missed you yesterday. I heard something happened to you with the escaped prisoners. Are you ok?"

"Yeah I'm fine, Dr. Crane and I just had a run in with two of them but got away luckily."

"Wow that must've been so scary. I'm so glad you're ok."

He reached out and squeezed my shoulder. Which made me uncomfortable but he was just trying to be compassionate (I think). The door to the employee lounge opened and I turned my gaze to the door. In walked Jonathan. Lucas quickly removed his hand from my shoulder and took a seat at one of the tables. My coffee still brewing.