# #. dearly beloved

The wave of once blazing, mesmerizing, blue fire suddenly flickered to a slow stop as a multitude of gasps and shouts rang throughout the courtyard

Ace let out a horrified shriek, eyes growing large as his mouth subconsciously opened in pure terror. Disregarding the hot anger that once enraged him, he ran up to the now singed statue of the Queen of Hearts. "Oh no! Now the Queen of Hearts' statue looks like it's been flame broiled!" He yelled in disbelief.

Grim, who had been yelling passionately only moments before had turned silent. His mouth formed into a line, eyes darting back and forth from you, to the statue, and to Ace. "That's your fault for tryin' to divert it! You shoulda just let it burn you to a crisp!" He stuttered.

"Who in their right mind would ever do that?" Ace cried.

Like him, your mouth fell agape at the now ruined statue. It's once precise details were now melded together, drooping sadly as the flames cooled.

Perhaps, it wasn't too bad... maybe just a quick shining or paint job and it'd be back to normal?

You didn't know much about statues.

"We should Uhm—"

"What is going on here? Cease this at once!"

A new voice suddenly silenced the gasps and whispers of the crowd behind you, whirling around to meet the eyes of an angered Headmage. He stalked towards you, shooing away the remainder of the crowd, as students scattered at the sight of him.

Ace reeled back, "Oh no! The headmage!"

Grim yelped, ears flattening against his head, "Not more lashings of love! We gotta get outta here!" The two tried to flee, only for Crowley's whip to smack against them over and over again.

Hands flew to your mouth, eyes widening as you watched the two flinch with each violent crack of the whip.

He was a teacher, a model for students- why was he hitting them?

This had to be abuse.

Despite the itch t the back of your throat, urging you to speak up, you remained silent. You couldn't say anything to Crowley. He was kind enough to let you stay in this unfamiliar world with nothing, gracious enough to at least provide you with some necessities.

Although, you were beginning to like him less and less now.

The cat demon jumped as the whip hit him once more, "Myaaaah! And I'm still sore from yesterday too!"

"As if the likes of you could ever flee from me!" Crowley sneered.

He sighed, golden eyes staring up at the Queen's statue with irritation. He looked like he was contemplating whether or not to kill the students or himself.

"Did I not just warn you, 'no more incidents?'"

He turned to you and Grim with a disappointed glance, "And now you've charred one of my statutes?! It's almost as though you WANT to be expelled."