trick or treat

"This year will be different, I promise, you'll see," Kelly says to her daughter Angela as they arrive at the new house.

"Yea and what makes you so sure mum," Angela growls as she steps out the car and heads toward the front door.

"Because it's a new town, you can reinvent yourself here if you wanted. You can be anything you want to be. I've always told you this. You're smarter than I was at your age and more bloody mischievous, " she adds as they both remember the reason they had to move here in the first place.

Angela had gotten into some trouble back in Detroit with the wrong people, and so when the promotion came up to move to the head office in New York, she didn't give it a second thought.

Kelly, 42 had Angela 21 when she was her age, and as the dad didn't want to know anything, it had just been them two all this time.

In her mother's words, he was a soulless bastard who gave her an amazing night but then left before morning and never saw her again.

Not even a penny in alimony throughout the years, just that random ruby necklace left hung on the door on Angela's 16th birthday with a note that said "always wear this, from your father"

She never wore it. It just hung in her jewellery cabinet all that time.

She goes into the brownstone with a box and immediately falls in love with the place.

"Ok, I can get used to this," she says, laughing. "You better make sure you don't get fired," she adds.

"Fuck you ya cheeky madam," Kelly says.

They spend the next 2 hours bringing box upon box into the place, when there's a knock on the door.

"Hi I'm Harri. I live just down the corridor" he says. If you need any help please don't hesitate to ask.

"Where were you 2 hours ago Harri," Angela cheekily replied.

" Great, 5 minutes, Angela, that's all it took for you to insult someone." Kelly says, giving Angela evils.

"I didn't mean anything by it, Sir," Angela says."It's been a long trip, I'm tired, and I apologise."

"Don't think anything of it, young lady," he says. "Me coming out after you have taken all the boxes in already does seem a little late, doesn't it." They all have a giggle as he takes his Husky for a walk.

"That is a cute dog, though. If you ever need anyone to walk him, I'll volunteer," Angela says, stroking the dog.

"He doesn't usually allow strangers to pet him. He must sense your kindness, so I may take you up on that sometime,"

With that, Harri walks out the door.

"What's his name, sir?" Angela says.

"Fenrir," he says proudly.

"The dog turns to look at her as she says,"See you soon, Fenrir. "

"Right, let's see if we can find out what Chinese is best round here, I am not cooking tonight," Kelly says.

Angela says, "No problem, you know my order, I'm going to go for a walk, and get to know the area."

"I'll be back in 30 minutes. Food will be back by then." She adds.

"Just don't get lost already, and no mischief," Kelly says.

Angela goes to her room quickly, grabs her coat, and sees the moonlight shine off her necklace as she gets to the door. She decides to put it on.

She heads out the front door, a chill in the air but not as cold as she thought it would have been.

Right, this area is degraw street, she says to herself. Let's have a little look at the closest shops.  Heading down Eileen C Dugan Boulevard.