31

Delhi

Poonam examined Riddhima wrist, and then she spoke gently, "My beautiful, loving little sister." She tenderly ran her fingers over the marks and said, "Don't worry. I'll suggest a cream for you. Within two to three days, the marks will start to disappear."

Abhimanyu let out a sigh of relief when he learned that they would vanish. He wished he hadn't caused them and regretted. Deep within, he wanted to apologise to her for them. However, he wasn't sure how to approach her, and so he observed them from afar.

"The mark doesn't worry me, sister. I'm happy it's on my wrist instead of yours. What truly bothers me is his abusive behavior."

"Yes, he's abusive," she admitted, forcing a small smile on her lips. She then took a deep breath and sighed, as if she were ever maltreated, before continuing, "It's all coming to an end now. Perhaps it's fate. All I need is the love and trust of my family, and that's enough."

They smiled affectionately at each other before embracing.

"I'm so glad you've finally accepted Mom into our family," Riddhima said, her smile reflecting her joy.

Mentioning Shraddha's name brought a frown to her face, which Abhimanyu noticed before she masked it with a smile.

She responded, "Let's just go home."

"Certainly. Let's go." They interlinked hands and set off, but as they walked towards the exit, they ran into him.

He gave her a stern glare, still upset about her trickery earlier.

"Please move aside," she requested with politeness because of her sister's presence.

"You're still my wife, Poonam," he responded.

He firmly held her hand and led her through the station corridor, ignoring her protests. As they walked, she whispered with frustration, "This is a station. Please behave yourself, Abhimanyu."
He ignored her and continued pulling her along.

Her tone softened as she dropped her ego and begged, "Please, Abhimanyu, just let me go home. You can come get me tomorrow."

"Do you really think your status as a rich man's daughter will allow you the freedom to move around? We're going home now." he exclaimed.

Riddhima approached him, and her palms joined together. "Please, she's not asking for much. Please," she whispered, tears welling up in her eyes.

He stopped walking, muttering softly, "If possible, I would have..."

Her moist eyes plead with him further. "It's possible. Just for a day, I beg you."

He released her hand and muttered, "Alright, just for a day.

Poonam was taken aback by his sudden actions. But she shook off the thought and went on her way with her sister happily.

***

"Aah,"  Poonam tried to say, her mouth full of biryani, regardless, she was still attempting to communicate. "Give me more," she said, gesturing at her plate. As the servant added another spoon of it, Anand interjected,

"At least we got you out. I'm thinking about your aunt now. How is she coping?"

She stopped eating mid-chew, considering his words.

"Aunt is also in jail, of course."

He queried further, "Why is he so obsessed with you? Of all people, why you? Did you two have a past together?"

"Honestly, I have no idea what he wants," she said, avoiding his gaze.

"How did he manage to convince you to marry him?"

"Blackmail. Excuse me. I have to use the toilet," she quickly clarified before hastily leaving the room.

Riddhima revealed the mark on her wrist to Shraddha and Anand, who gasped in shock and anger. "Do you know he abuses her, father?" Shraddha gently took her hand and touched the mark, her concern growing.

Anand's eyes darkened with fury, and he demanded, "How did this happen to you, my child?"

"He mistook me for Sister. But I'm glad. I can tolerate the pain as long as she is happy."

Shraddha said, "Your sister isn't naive. I'm certain she wouldn't allow herself to be mistreated in any way."

Anand, with a harsh glare towards her, replied, "How can you say that when he's already shown how manipulative and abusive he is with Riddhima? He abused and manipulated her to marry him. How can you even argue on his behalf?"

"No Anand. I don't believe any of that. For as much as I know Poonam, she's" She started to explain, but he interrupted.

"Do you believe she intentionally performed surgery leading to the patient's death, is involved in drug imports, and it was her in the video?"

She became silent, her gaze lowered, deciding to stand up to the harsh truth, knowing her words could cause hurt but still better than all of them continuing to live a lie. "You must know that Poonam hates me. That unfortunate patient who passed away had my name and was from Ladnun. What if... What if Poonam..."

His patience broke, and he interrupted her, his voice filled with disbelief and anger. "Be quiet! I can't bear to look at your face right now. How dare you accuse my daughter of such things? Didn't you tell me things were better between you? Yet here you are, saying awful things!"

"It was all a lie. We were never on good terms," she admitted, her voice heavy. With a sigh and a brief moment of silence, she continued, "I hope I'm wrong. I hope she didn't take the life of that innocent woman because she had my name."

Riddhima stepped in defence of her, saying, "Sister would never do such a thing. She keeps her professional duties separate from personal feelings."

Shraddha reluctantly agreed, nodding. "You're right, Riddhima. I hope Poonam is innocent."

..