Chapter 10: Fate and the makeshift crew

The journey back to the surface was a blur. The weight of the revelations hung heavy in the air, each of us grappling with the immense task bestowed upon us. We emerged from the hidden entrance blinking against the harsh desert sun, the desolate expanse of the Shifting Wastes stretching out before us like a cruel reminder of the challenges ahead.

Borin, ever the pragmatist, broke the silence. "Alright, Steel," he rumbled, his voice gruff but laced with a newfound determination. "So, we gotta become what? Aether Knights 2.0? How do we even begin to fight... whatever those things were?"

Eldarion, his brow furrowed in concentration, pushed his goggles further up his forehead. "Not necessarily us, but more so Steel? The data crystals might hold the key to unlocking his full potential. The way the lead figure spoke, there seems to be a connection between him and the Aether Knights, perhaps even a lineage. He might be the key to wielding the power we need."

Gork, his single red eye gleaming, chimed in. "Maybe. But deciphering them might take months, even years. We don't have that kind of time. This 'awakening' the figure mentioned... it could happen any minute, right?"

A cold dread settled in my stomach. Gork was right. Time was a luxury we couldn't afford. The weight of the energy hammer felt heavier than ever in my hand, a constant reminder of the responsibility thrust upon me.

"We need a plan," I finally said, my voice hoarse but resolute. "First, we need to head back to our makeshift guild, somewhere where we can analyze the data crystals and strategize. Then, we need to train. Master the power of the Aether Knights, whatever that entails."

Borin grunted in agreement. "Training sounds good. But where do we even start? We don't exactly have a training manual for wielding magical space-energy or whatever it is."

Eldarion, however, seemed to have an idea. "The deciphering of the data crystals could take time, yes," he said, his eyes gleaming with a newfound fervor. "But we have an actual 'magical space-energy manipulator' as Borin so nicely put it for us, among our ranks. Steel can be honing his skills while we delve into the data crystals. Perhaps the knowledge we glean from them can help him unlock more of the weapon's potential, making him even more prepared for what's to come."

A sliver of hope flickered within me. Maybe there was a way forward after all. We might not have all the answers, but we had a starting point – the data crystals and the lingering energy within my weapon. But then I suddenly realized something. Borin looked dejected while Eldarion and Gork chatted away excitedly about how to crack the mysteries of the data crystals. So I decided to speak up. "Is there no way for us all, to manipulate the Aether around us?" I asked. "After all, you guys are putting too much pressure on me. I can't fight fate alone; I need allies that I can rely on. I think our first step is to uncover how to manipulate the Aether without being an Aether Knight, kind of like how the Nexus does it, it is only a machine after all."

Borin's ears perked up at the idea. Eldarion and Gork's eyes met, a spark of possibility igniting within them. They imagined the implications – Ravens wielding the power of the Aether, not just Steel. A new era for the scrapyard, a future where they weren't just scavengers clinging to survival, but protectors wielding a forgotten power. With this newfound resolution, we decided to head back to the scrapyard, our makeshift home amidst the wasteland. It wasn't ideal, but it offered some semblance of safety and the resources we needed to decipher the data crystals. The journey would be arduous, but the stakes were high. The fate of countless realities, the echoes of a shattered civilization – they all rested on our shoulders.

As we set off across the unforgiving dunes, a newfound determination burned within me. We were no longer just a group of scavengers thrown together by circumstance. We were the inheritors of a forgotten legacy, the last hope against a looming threat. The whispers of the past had become a battle cry, and we, the unwitting heroes of a forgotten war, were ready to answer.