Where Were You

Disclaimer: I'm not an OB-GYN. Any medical-related scenes in this AU are based on my research, so there might be some inaccuracies.

——————————————————

It had been three days since Archie left, and Roxy had never felt worse. Entering her eighth month of pregnancy, she felt more down than ever before. She refused to leave her room, barely ate anything, and all the confidence she had gained over the past year seemed to vanish with his departure.

While Archie had been consistently reaching out to Roxy, but all his messages went unread. He tried to contact Ria, but received only a cold response. How could he blame her? She was probably disappointed that he had left her sister behind.

"Knock, knock," Ria gently tapped on Roxy's door, holding the glass of milk she was supposed to drink.

"Roxy, andito na yung gatas mo. Inumin mo na." Ria said softly.

"Iwan mo na lang diyan ate." Roxy responded coldly.

The food on the table was almost untouched, the lunch Ria had prepared for her. Taking a deep breath, Ria placed the glass of milk on the table and left.

Outside, Ria sought solace in the fresh air, trying to clear her mind. She remembered how Roxy had reacted when their parents died—it was the same now, depressed and lifeless.

"Pagod na ko, pagod na ko... di ko na talaga kaya," Ria thought to herself, pacing back and forth as she tried to compose herself.

Her mind is filled with stormy thoughts. She wondered if she was ever allowed to sulk in depression, to shut everyone out and cry herself to sleep. After all, like Roxy, she had also lost her parents and her boyfriend had left. But why did it feel like she wasn't allowed to break down? Why did she always need to be strong?

Suddenly, her phone vibrates— it was Archie.

"Ang hanep talaga ng timing." Ria thought to herself, her emotions already running high.

Feeling emotional and exhausted, she answered the phone.

"Finally! hello Ate Ria?" Archie's voice came through the line.

"Putang ina mo! Bakit bigla mong iniwan yung kapatid ko?!" Ria exclaimed, her frustration pouring out.

She didn't hold a personal grudge against him and in truth, she was open to hearing his side of the story, given their family situation.

But it was just bad timing, she needed to vent her thoughts to someone and unfortunately, it was Archie.

"Pakshet ka! Tingnan mo yung nangyari. Hindi siya lumalabas ng kwarto! Pati kumain ayaw, alam mo naman malakas topak nun pag iniiwan!" Ria continued to express her frustration over the phone.

"Sabi mo ikaw bahala? Sabi mo di mo iiwan? Ako nanaman sumalo, ako na lang lahat! Pagod na ko!"

Ria finally broke down, tears streaming down her face as she released all the pent-up emotions she had been holding back for years as the elder sister.

She took her time to let it all out, until suddenly, she heard Archie sobbing on the other end of the line.

"I'm sorry ate...I didn't mean too.. Si Z, she needs me—"

As Archie sobbed on the other end of the line, Ria patiently waited for him to settle down. She could hear the struggle in his voice as he tried to contain his sobs.

"Si Z? Anong meron dun sa kapatid mo?" Ria asked, her voice softening as she wiped away her tears.

"She—she had a relapse, she cut herself. We thought she was recovering, but—" Archie struggled to find the right words.