Chapter 1 / Do I have to?

Itachi glanced down at the papers strewn across his desk describing his new partner.  According to one of the papers, the almost shark-like man was named Kisame Hoshigaki. Just from looking at the information on his new partner, Itachi knew he wouldn't like this pairing at all. It was almost pointless to pair him up again, Pain and Konan knew very well that he preferred working on his own. Itachi sighed and pushed the papers away, not looking forward to meeting this "Kisame" later that day.

     He decided to get up and ready for the day since it was already 11 A.M. and he had to meet Kisame at 3. He walked into the bathroom and brushed through his silky black hair that reached just past his waist. He gently combed and parted his bangs before pulling the rest of it up into its usual ponytail. He looked down at his headband on the counter.

He ran a finger over the engravement of the leaf before tying his headband and thought guiltily about leaving. He wondered how Sasuke was doing. He wondered how Kakashi was doing. Kakashi would've understood. Kakashi knew what it was like to be thrown into something as serious as the Anbu at such a young age. He wondered if his new partner had been an Anbu. Probably not. All he knew was that Kisame wielded a famous blade, the shark skin blade.

     Was wielding some blade really that impressive or was it just on the recruitment papers because it was famous? Itachi found himself completely uninterested in learning more about some famous sword. He was honestly uninterested in even formally meeting his new partner. After all, they could die at any moment. They could be partners for 3 days and one of them could die. There was no point in getting close to someone if they were going to die in only a couple days. Itachi's last partner had only been interested in being his partner so he could get Itachi's sharingan. Would Kisame be the same?

     He walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge. They didn't have much, someone would have to go grocery shopping sometime today. Kakuzu would most likely get stuck with the task. Kakuzu was always given the simple and tedious tasks, considering his current lack of a partner.  Itachi focused his attention on the fridge again. They had leftovers from last night's dinner, eggs, and cheese.  He sighed and got a portion of the leftovers out and began heating it up. 

    The food didn't look all that appealing to Itachi and he felt his appetite disappearing. It hadn't tasted that good when he got it, it would be even worse as leftovers. Although he didn't want the food anymore, he still ate it. He wasn't the type to waste food just because he had changed his mind about wanting it. Plus, he didn't need a lecture from Kakuzu on how much money he would be wasting. When the food was heated up he set it on the table and sat down. The room was completely empty. The Akatsuki was a group of criminals, not a little family. Still, he wished the hideout wasn't so lifeless. 

     Everyone who lived there liked to keep to themselves and that was nice a lot of the time. None of them took interest in hanging out or doing group activities. The only ones who really talked to each other were Pain and Konan. Itachi took a few bites of the food and it tasted even worse than he thought it would.

     Itachi finished getting ready and he went back to his room and sat on his bed. He hadn't made his bed in days. All this thinking about someone he hadn't even met yet was driving him crazy. He hoped Konan would call him out of his room to say they weren't going to recruit this strange man and that he would not have to go meet him and he could just go back to sleep. Itachi closed his eyes and buried his face into his pillow, there was nothing he wanted more than for this to be over.

    He could've read through the files he had been given on Kisame, or listened when Zetsu was explaining why the partnership was going to work. He could've at least put in the effort to remember Kisame's last name, but he decided it would all be a waste of his time. After all, would Kisame do all of that? Itachi didn't care what Kisame did, as long as it didn't involve him any more than it had to. Kisame didn't look like the type of person to care about who his partner was, or what his partner did. That was enough reason for Itachi not to waste his time learning more about this stranger. 

     There was a light knock at his door.

     "Itachi?" A feminine voice called from just outside his door.

     Konan. It was Konan. Itachi groaned and got up then pulled on his cloak and opened the door.

     "Yes Konan?" Itachi questioned, although knowing full well that she was there to tell him it was time for him to leave and meet Kisame. 

     When Konan frowned at Itachi, he sighed and nodded. He made his way out the door and began walking to the place where him and Kisame were to meet. It was pretty far from the hideout, which was truly inconvenient for Itachi. Long walks were not his favorite by any means. He just wanted this to be over with now.  

     His silky hair was dancing behind him in the light breeze. It was a nice day. He wanted to go get coffee and enjoy the cooler weather. Today would be a nice day to do whatever he wanted and visit the Leaf Village. Would Kisame be mad if he was late because he took a detour and got coffee? Would the coffee shop even be open? Did Itachi actually want coffee? He didn't think Kisame would care all that much even if he was late.

     He tried to recall things from the files about Kisame but he had just briefly skimmed over it. He was lucky he even remembered his name. Kisame was a tough man, he could get over Itachi being late. Kisame was a tough man, what if he was mad that Itachi was late? Kisame couldn't kill Itachi. Itachi was much too strong for him. Wasn't he?

     He ended up taking the detour and getting a latte. He couldn't stop himself from getting something sweet. It definitely improved his sour mood about having to meet the swordsman. The part that ruined his mood again was that even when he got to the meeting spot, Kisame wasn't there yet. Clearly, this man wasn't punctual at all if he was later than Itachi was. 

     Itachi wasn't usually late to things, but this time he really wanted to put off meeting the man. He was always like this. He didn't want to meet his team when he became a Genin, he didn't want to meet anyone in the Anbu. Maybe he didn't like socializing, or maybe he didn't like getting attached. 

    He sat down and watched the sky, hoping Kisame would show up already so he could just go back to the hideout. Heavy footsteps sound from behind him and he hears a deep voice call out to him. 

    "I'll be teaming up with you starting today"