Prologue

Work always seemed to follow Frederick wherever he went. Even on his well deserved, and definitely needed vacation, he somehow found himself tangled up in another mess.

But it wasn't his fault this time. He always questioned whether it was a good idea to work along with the engineers, but he had to compromise with his colleagues.

In his long career as a geneticist, he never dreamed bigger than this project. He might have pushed technology to the edge, might have created something so magnificent. Something only ever seen in fiction. However, it was always dystopian, horror.

His state of panic, combined with the frustration that his team would bring research samples onto the cruise ship, was completely justified.

He walked as fast as he could towards his room. He was confused, but at the same time, he might have known exactly what was happening. Was this real?

Footsteps echoed behind him, getting closer. It didn't startle him. In fact, he was well aware of the presence behind him.

As he reached his room, he was quick to let his companion inside and lock himself in. His breathing got heavier.

Freddy, the whisper called out to him.

He clutched his hair, gripping tightly with both hands. His companion stood still on the other side of his bed, quietly watching him slowly enter a state of sheer madness.

"Why did you follow me?" he boomed.

"You know that well, Freddy." his companion, the shadow, answered.

"I knew it!" he shrieked. "You can speak! God, I knew those filthy programmers couldn't be trusted, I-"

That is when the lights turned off. No, not just the lights. The power was gone, perhaps on the whole ship. 'Perhaps?' Who was he kidding, it was definitely the whole ship.

"What's happening?" Frederick's voice was much softer now, shivering. He was scared.

"It's happening." the shadow said. "Your worst fear, it's coming true."