The Third Puzzle Piece

Warning:
This chapter contains explicit content and detailed descriptions of violence and bullying. Please read at your discretion.

•••

"First day na first day palang ng Foundation Day, boys," the prefect of discipline says in a slightly raised voice, staring at us in distress. He's sitting on one of the beds inside the clinic, his fingers twitching as he looks at us. "What's up with you two?"

Mingyu takes a step before glancing at me, his hands placed behind him. "I got pissed at Mr. Jeon's attitude during the game, Sir."

"And is that enough reason to beat him up in the locker room, Mr. Kim?" the prefect raises an eyebrow at him, his eyes narrowing upon hearing Mingyu's so-called explanation.

"No, Sir."

"What about you, Wonwoo?" the prefect gives me a look, waiting for my response. I take note of the fact that, unlike Mingyu, he's not looking at me with irritation.

I steal a glance at Mingyu, who's still grimacing at the sight of me, before heaving out a sigh, feigning innocence. "He looked distracted the entire game, and I got worried that he'd affect the whole team."

The prefect tilts his head as he stares at me, waiting for my next words. "So?"

"I just reacted to his incompetence, that's all. I didn't mean to offend him."

I see Mingyu move towards my direction, his hands red as he balls them into fists. He scoffs and almost lands another hit to my face, but thankfully the prefect stops him.

"I have no time for this," he says, letting out a sigh. "We've already had enough political drama from your fathers. Ano, gusto niyo ba gumaya sa kanila?" The prefect then gets up from the bed, placing two fingers on his temple. "Fix this mess before I go tell your parents about this."

Mingyu's the first person to react, his eyes wide as he looks at the prefect. "But sir-"

"But what? Dalawa lang options niyo: magbati kayo today, or makakarating 'to sa parents niyo."

Fuck.

If word about what happened earlier gets out, I can only imagine the consequences. Later tonight, my dad will be waiting for me to come home. He'll ask me about my chess game today, and I'll tell him it was canceled because of Mingyu. If that's not enough to anger him, this will. My father expects a lot from me, and he can't afford to lose face just because of his son. The threat may sound unreasonable to Mingyu, but it's more than enough to scare me. He doesn't tolerate disappointment. I can't afford to shame him either.

I rise from the chair, step beside Mingyu, facing his tense figure, and bend my back in a kowtow. I have no other choice. "I'm sorry."

It's hard to see his reaction, but even at such an angle...I can feel his gaze-a cold, judgemental one.

"Hah...this is unbelievable," I hear him say, his tone tinged with mockery. "I don't think he's guilty enough to be asking for my apology, Sir."

I remain in my position, blood rushing hot in my veins. This prick really can't read the room.

"Let's not prolong this issue, can we?" The prefect politely asks, and when I slightly raise my head to look at him, he gestures at me to stand upright. "I'll leave you two alone. This office is safe from outsiders, so feel free to call each other names for the sake of fixing this. Pero hindi kayo allowed na magsuntukan dito."

The prefect then walks out of the office, closing the door behind us. It takes me a moment to absorb what he just said. Is he really letting us go on with this without his supervision?