1,2,3

‘This is not the first, second or even the third time you have been sat in my office, Mrs Pilgrim.’ The head teacher said angrily.

Mrs Pilgrim sighed. Her daughter Kate had got in trouble again.

‘I know, I know. I’m sorry, what has Kate done this time?’ She said wearily.

‘My… my library.’ The head teacher sobs.

Mrs Pilgrim suddenly sits up alert. Chesterfield High is known for its exquisite library filled with rare, expensive books. Oh no. Kate better not have gone near that library, she thought.

The Head Teacher, wiping the last lingering tear off her wrinkled cheek, jerked violently and glowered. ‘Your daughter, Mrs Pilgrim, burnt down that library and destroyed every book within it.’

Mrs Pilgrim gasped. Kate has crossed the line. ‘A new start’ she had said. What a load of rubbish, Mrs Pilgrim thought sadly.

‘As a result your daughter is immediately and effectively expelled. Unfortunately this is the code of conduct, but Kates behaviour has been irrational and she has been a nuisance to the entire school. She is not allowed on the premises again and I have already sent off her application to a few schools. Few are willing to take her in because…’ The head teacher paused, an awkward silence waiting to be filled.

‘Because she is a temperamental girl who is not willing to cooperate’ Mrs Pilgrim finished regretfully.

Embarrassed, the Head teacher looked down at her lap.

‘I would be grateful if you will collect Kate now and make sure she has all her belongings.’ Trying to smile at the humiliated Mrs Pilgrim, who was already halfway out the door.

‘Thank you Mrs Jones. Good bye.’ Mrs Pilgrim said stiffly, closing the door behind her softly.

Kate was slumped on a chair outside the office, waiting for her Mum. She had mucked up big time. Although happy to be leaving such a ‘hell hole’ -as she called it- she did feel ashamed of her actions. Picturing her furious Mum and the punishments to come, she shivered.  Suddenly feeling a rough hand yanking her off her seat, she looked up and then directed her gaze back down again.

‘What were you thinking? I have had to sit in that office with that woman for over twenty minutes because you mucked up another school again. I have never felt so embarrassed then I am now!’ Kates mum fumed.

‘I’m sorry Mum! I didn’t mean to!’ Kate protested.

But her Mum just glared down at her; ‘We are sorting this out at home’.

The car ride home was silent and very uncomfortable. Kate glanced nervously at her Mum, who completely ignored her.

Full of remorse, she glanced back down at her Blackberry which she got last Christmas from her Gran.

Heard u were kicked out. U okay? Luv Mel x

Kate sighed.  Good old Mel.  Mel (aka Melanie) is Kates best friend. Only friend, well, only true friend.

Yes I’m fine, Mums very cross. Wish me luck. Luv Kat x

Reversing into the drive, Kate notices a stray letter by the gate. Jumping out of the car and rushing to get it, she finds that it is addressed to her. Curious, she is about to open it when, her Dads cruiser comes into the drive. Slipping down her shirt she bounds up the steps into the large house.

‘This isn’t good enough, Kate.’ Her Dad mutters, worried.

Kate rolls her eyes.  Her Mum glares down at her.

‘I have had it with your attitude, young lady! I want to know all the details of the fire.’ She demands angrily.

‘I was messing in the library after school and my friend asked if I wanted a smoke. I said no thanks, but she kept pestering me and flicking the lighter on and off. I took it off her when it was on and I accidently flung it on to a shelf. Then it set fire. So it was an accident really!’ Kate reasoned. Her Mum looked at her, eyebrows raised. 

'How come everything you do seems to be an accident, Kate? You said that at Woodsfield High and  Rosemorr! Go up to your room and stay there!' Ordered her Mum, wearily.

Sighing, Kate rose from her seat and made her way up the stairs. Nobody understands me. It isn't fair. Kate thought angrily.

Suddenly she halted on the steps. She could hear her Mum and Dad ranting downstairs.

'This isn't fair on us, Dave. We have dealt with this fairly and I have had enough!' Exasperated her Mum.

' I know, darling, but what can we do? She won't learn!' Said her Dad.

'We can always resort to...' Wondered her Mum.

'No! No I will not allow it! He is a criminal, Faye!' Shouted her Dad angrily .

 'Dave! We will not call him that! I think this would help Kate enormously, as if she carries on like this she will spend time in prison!' Scolded Faye. 

Who are they talking about? I know no other relatives! And.. a criminal? Kate thought. She snapped out of it and listened to her Fathers reply.

'Fine! Fine! You're right, he may have a stronger influence on her. But does it have be him? Of all people? I know what you are going to say. It has to be.' Her Dads anger died away and he sounded reluctant to let the plan go ahead.

'It is settled then. I will contact Jay about Kates stay.' Her Mum said flatly.

My stay? I want to know who the hell I'm staying with! Kate questioned darkly. She yawned and headed up the stairs. 

***********

Looking around her bedroom, Kate saw what a mess it was and, decided to clean it to get on her Parents good side.

Kate then waited for her Mum to come up and say goodnight. Finally, at ten past ten, her Mums head popped round the door. Doing a double take, she steps in the room and smiles. 

'Someones trying to make an attempt of an apology!' She smirked, amused that this situation had lead for her untidy daughter to actually clean her room.

'Sorry, Mum.' Kate murmured sadly, disappointed that she had let down her Mum once again. 

Smiling at her, her Mum gave her a gentle embrace and then left the room. 

Kate began to change into her PJ's when the letter she had picked up earlier, fell to the floor. Tearing it open, she started to read.

Kate,

I am writing to you on the basis of the fact that, you are in danger. There is much you need to know about your family. But I feel I should keep this note simple before I say too much, too soon.