Familiarity

The train comes to a stop, everyone else making their way out while Satoru gently wakes you from your slumber. He feels bad. He could tell from the moment he saw your face that you were tired and probably didn't get much sleep. You always have a certain look whenever you're tired. He remembers.

"Y/n," He whispers, poking your cheek.

You swat his hand away, "five more minutes," you mumble, stirring around on his lap.

"But we're already here. Lets go, you can sleep when we get to my place,"

You pull yourself off him against your will, shivering at the loss of warmth. Your clothes are still wet from the rain.

He helps you off the train and you begin walking side by side in the dark. There's barely anybody else out at this hour besides the few people who were on the train with you. It's so cold out that you can see your own breath fog the air.

You flick your gaze up to Satoru who has his attention on the path ahead of him, but he can feel you staring at him. A small smile tugs at the corner of his lips.

"What? Is there something on my face?" He chuckles, now looking down at you.

You turn your head away, dragging your hands up and down your arms in an attempt to warm yourself up, "No, it's nothing. You just look different is all." And you're right. He's somehow taller, an undercut, and his arms look like they're about to rip the fabric of his clothes.

He nods his head in understanding, "Good or bad different?"

You pause for a moment before answering, "Good... really good."

He didn't expect you to say it outright, he thought he'd have to tease you a little more to coax the answer out of you, "You too."

You continue walking the last mile in silence, air a little thick with the need to ask more questions, and find out everything about each other that you've missed over the last 7 years, but nevertheless, it's comforting. You doubt you could feel uncomfortable with Satoru.

As he turns a corner, you follow closely behind him, recognizing the familiar path.

"Wait, I thought we were going to your place?" You ask.

"We are."

"So why are we walking towards-"

Oh.

You cut yourself off when it clicks in your head and barely a second after, you're face to face with the apartment you once both lived it. You naturally assumed he would've moved out of this place not long after you broke up.

You stop to just take it all in and reminisce over your old home.

Satoru is already unlocking the door, but halts his movement. He'll let you take your time.

But it isn't until you feel tears pooling in your eyes that you scurry over to him, "Sorry, we can go inside," you sniffle through the tightness in your chest. You feel that if you stand there any longer, you'll cry for a second time tonight.

He pulls the door open and you both walk up the stairs as they creak beneath your feet.

He walks ahead and unlocks the door with the number 21 on it. The same exact one from all those years ago. Part of you was hoping he would've at least switched so you wouldn't have to relive the memories of the life you regret leaving behind, but the other is filled with a sense of love knowing he cherished everything about you and the relationship you once shared.

He leads you inside and it seems you just teleported into the past. Absolutely nothing has changed. The pictures on the wall, the pillows on the couch, even the old coffee maker which more than likely doesn't work anymore is still in its designated spot in the corner of the kitchen counter just how you used to like it.

Satoru takes your jacket off and hangs it with his on the coat rack, "You can take a shower if you'd like. Towels are in our-" He stops himself before continuing, but you both know what he was going to, wanted to say, "...My bedroom. I'll make us something to eat in the meantime."

You nod, afraid of what you'll see when you walk into the room where you spent hours holding each other, making love, or just talking about your days. You wish you knew how his days have been. At times, you found yourself wanting to send him a text to check up on him, but you figured it was best to stay silent. Not everyone would be excited to hear from their ex who left them heartbroken without explanation. But if only you knew it was the one thing he'd kill for.

Your steps seem to have grown slower until you reach the entrance leading to the bedroom. Again, nothing changed, but when your eyes fall onto the bed, seeing the one side that's messed up from sleeping in it while the other has remained seemingly untouched for years (because it has), you can't help but cry.

You turn around to the mirror that's propped against the wall, never drilled in because it's Satoru's way of keeping yet another memory alive.

Flashback:

You guys had just gotten your first apartment together. It was small, but cozy and that's what mattered. You're currently at the store debating on which mirror to get for your shared bedroom. Everything else was already set and ready to go, but for some reason, a mirror had to break that streak.

"Satoru, we are not getting that one! It makes me look distorted!" You whine. You've been at this for 20 minutes.

He, on the other hand, finds your whining cute, "But it's like one of those optical illusion mirrors at carnivals! It's funny!"

He's acting like a little kid in the middle of the store, making funny faces and watching his messed up reflection in the mirror. Of course, he would ultimately pick the one you want which was a pricey, but nice full body one. He just wanted to tease you a while longer.

But that would have to wait until another day because you're already pushing the cart one aisle down, fed up with his behavior.

He chases after you, enveloping you in a tight hug, "I'm sorryyy! You know I would always get you whatever you want. But you should also know that I find enjoyment in teasing my pretty girlfriend."

...

Despite settling your first dilemma on which mirror to get, a new problem arose. Where would it even go? You have a problem with overbuying, and Satoru has a problem with being unable to say no to you. Which is exactly why you're standing like idiots in the middle of your bedroom that's filled with furniture and decor, leaving barely any space for your mirror.

You probably spent two hours rearranging stuff, and moving things into the living room before ultimately settling on just leaning it up against the wall. Satoru had suggested drilling it to the ceiling so you guys can watch while you have sex, but all it got him was a smack on the back of the head.

End flashback.

You rub your nose and tear filled eyes feeling the rock of your wedding ring against your face, bringing you back to the reality that you can't have this again. No matter how bad you want it, it'll always be out of your reach and you have nobody to blame but yourself.