Chapter 6 : Papers and pens

Billie stepped into the cozy coffee shop, her favorite refuge from the hustle and bustle of the outside world. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee enveloped her as she made her way to the counter, a sense of calm washing over her.

"Hi there, what can I get for you today?" the barista greeted her with a warm smile.

"I'll have a vanilla latte, please," Billie replied, returning the smile as she dug into her purse for her wallet.

As she waited for her drink, Billie found a comfortable spot by the window, watching the world go by outside. The gentle hum of conversation and the soft background music created the perfect ambiance for her to unwind.

Soon enough, her latte arrived, its creamy froth swirling delicately in the cup. Taking a sip, Billie let out a contented sigh, savoring the familiar taste that never failed to soothe her soul.

Lost in her thoughts, she didn't notice the figure that approached her table until they spoke.

"Mind if I join you?"

Billie looked up, surprised to see Jesse standing before her, a tentative smile on his lips.

"Of course," she replied, gesturing to the empty chair across from her. "I was just enjoying my coffee."

Jesse took a seat, and for a moment, they sat in comfortable silence, the weight of unspoken words hanging in the air between them.

"It's good to see you, Billie," Jesse finally said, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, it is," she replied softly, meeting his gaze with a hint of nostalgia in her eyes.
Jesse took a sip of his coffee, his gaze lingering on Billie as he gathered his thoughts. Finally, he spoke up, his voice laced with concern.

"So, Billie, have you been doing okay since... you know, the incident?"

Billie paused, her fingers tracing the rim of her coffee cup as she considered her response.

"Yeah, I'm doing better," she replied, offering him a small smile. "It was a scary experience, but I'm grateful to be okay now."

Jesse nodded, his expression softening with relief. "I'm glad to hear that. I couldn't stop worrying about you after... everything."

A flicker of emotion passed across Billie's face at his words, a mixture of gratitude and nostalgia.

"Thank you for being there for me, Jesse," she said sincerely. "I know things between us haven't always been easy, but your support meant a lot to me."

Jesse reached across the table, gently squeezing her hand. "You don't have to thank me, Billie. I'll always care about you, no matter what."
"Jesse, I want you to know that I wasn't alone during all of that," Billie said, her voice soft but firm. "Finneas, my brother, was there for me every step of the way. He's always been fiercely protective of me, and he made sure I got the help I needed."

Jesse nodded, a hint of understanding in his eyes. "I'm glad to hear that, Billie. Family is important, especially in times like these."

A small smile tugged at the corners of Billie's lips as she thought of her brother. "Yeah, he's pretty amazing. I don't know what I would do without him."
As the conversation flowed between them, Jesse's gaze softened, his eyes lingering on Billie's face with a mixture of longing and uncertainty. And then, in a moment of boldness, he reached out, gently cupping her cheek.

"Billie," he whispered, his voice barely above a breath. "I know this might not be the right time or place, but... I've missed you. And I can't shake the feeling that maybe there's still something between us."