Chapter Two: Harley Quinn

"Nope. Not there. Or there. Nothing, nada, zilch once again. Wow that is so surprising, that spot is not it." I whispered to myself sarcastically.

    Joker had told me to scout out the Wayne Enterprises building to see if there was an easy way in, say an open window or loose vent cover. So far, no luck. We were planning to steal Wayne's now product to put a dent in his business. If he hits enough of a bump in the road, he can't help Batman while he recuperates. No Dark Night, no trouble when we rob the bank next week. It was a fool proof plan...except for the fact I couldn't find a not so noticeable way into a rich person's tower.

    I leaned down and grabbed a brick I had found on the rooftop I was currently scouting on, debating if using the structure as target practice was a good idea or a great one. I smirked to myself before chucking the object through a window on the eleventh floor. I let out a happy sigh as I heard an alarm go off from the building I had just damaged.

    'Ah, much better. Now the question at hand: should another find itself on the twelfth floor?' I mentally asked myself with a smile.

    With half as much energy, I tossed one closer to the end of the alleyway below. I expected to hear the echo of the brick shattering on the cement. Instead, a terrified scream bounced off the walls. Usually I loved screams, the sounds usually coming from scared people the Joker and I had kidnapped or one of the vigilantes we use as target practice. But this one, this one didn't sound amusing. Weird.

    I looked down onto the alley below, but saw nobody. Carefully, I slid down a water pipe near the mouth of the space between the buildings. I didn't have have much experience getting down from rooftops, so my decent was on the slower side, but I was fine with that. I peered into the dark space as my feet touched the ground. There was a small, shaking shape in the corner, hidden by shadows. I stepped closer, my eyes adjusting to the darkness of the alley. I crept forward until I could see what the shape was, and my heart melted a bit. 

    There was a little boy, who couldn't be older than 10, clutching a backpack to his chest. He stared at me with wide eyes, fear apparent in his features. I crouched down a few feet away from him and reached out with my hand, for what reason I didn't know. I placed my hand on his head, feeling his soft hair. He flinched at my touch, but calmed down when he realized I wasn't going to harm him.

    "Hiya kid. Are you ok?" I asked softly

    No reply.

    "I'm sorry for tossing that brick, didn't realize you down here."

    Still nothing.

    "Let's pretend you accidently bumped into me. Hi, I'm Harleen Quinzel. What's your name?" I asked with a smile.

    "...N-Nico, Nico di Angelo," he said in a scared little voice.

    "Ok Nico, where are your parents?" I asked the boy. He said nothing, but his silence spoke volumes. I wanted to comfort him more, but I wasn't close enough.

    "Can I come closer? Or can you come closer to me?" I questioned

    He said nothing as she shuffled closer to me. I sat up a bit, trying to shift into a more comfortable position rather than just sitting on my knees. Out of no where, he gripped my hand and looked me in the eyes with his obsidian ones. The darkness around us seemed to get thicker, covering us like a blanket, almost enough to be suffocating.

    "Don't leave," he whispered, voice cracking as tears welled up in his eyes. "Please don't leave."

    I sat down in a more comfortable position, cross legged on the ground right in front of Nico.