Chapter 06

Aleena was still silent, maybe she was too shocked or too excited by what she experienced, I don't know, I can't guess what's inside her head right now. Aleena only responded to me with deep inhales and exhales. And that's what my mother always taught me when I had a panic attack, and now Aleena imitates it. Now Aleena looked up, "Didi, why did Didi fall from the white circle on the ceiling?" She pointed at the ceiling of my room.

I sat down, 'oh my gosh she saw it.' I grumbled. I grinned, now I don't know what kind of stupid face I showed in front of Aleena. "What else do you see huh? Did you hear a conversation?" I investigated her.

"Conversation?" She asked confused.

Binggo, she has not been able to realize the existence of fairies. This is exactly what Shawl said, humans will only be aware of its existence within the limits of their beliefs. "Oh, it's okay. Could it be that Aleena saw something strange besides the white ring earlier?" I still asked with my stupid grin.

"Did Didi just get kidnapped by Monters Inc?"

You know the computer-animated film where the entire population is a monster who supplies electricity to their city by collecting children's screams as a source of electrical energy. Yes, Aleena thinks right now I'm being kidnapped by the good monster Sullivan.

I got up and took her little finger to lead her downstairs, and didn't forget to bring my sketchbook. I tried to give her a simple understanding. "You know Aleena, every child is born special on earth, they have their own special qualities, and you are very special to didi here." I touched my chest next to me. "Aleena is a good child, because Aleena is special. And special children will one day get a special invitation, exploring a world where adults don't exist, only us and fun.

So didi begs, please keep this a secret from the others and adults, if Aleena wants to get a special invitation like didi just now." I hope she just catches my words like a passing gust of wind, I don't want Aleena to get too hopeful and be disappointed. "Aleena understand?" I asked while rubbing her head.

"Um, Aleena understands, secret!" She nodded while demonstrating locked lips.

The digital clock on my left arm showed that it was getting late, mother should be home by now, my thought.

"Didi, why are mom and dad taking so long, I miss mom and dad."

I tried to tease her, "Isn't Aleena happy that mom is gone, so we can be together all day?" I asked trying to get her response.

"Yes, I like it when mom is gone, but maybe I'm wrong, I don't like it when mom is gone all day, I miss the smell of being in mom's arms, mom's scent is pleasant."

pleasant probably means calming. Yes, it's exactly the same as I feel when I'm in my mother's arms, calm and warm. "Maybe they'll be home in, like an hour." I tried to predict the time, then went to the kitchen to get paratha for me and Aleena.

Paratha or parata bread is a typical Indian food, maybe some parts of Asia know it as roti canai. This bread is flat and layered, usually eaten with curry or yogurt, or can be eaten alone without accompaniment.

Aleena followed me because there wasn't much else to do but draw and color and watch. I took the cocoa powder and spooned a few glasses into mine and Aleena's mugs, and poured hot water then watched the chocolate powder melt. There was silence for a moment.

While eating bread and sipping hot chocolate, I played with my cell phone, spinning it like a top, hoping for a message or call from my mother. Just like Aleena, I missed mother this time, usually I would avoid mother, but after that night, the night where mother and I spoke openly, I didn't want to be far from mother.