Story 2 - Sunny Nights

"Excuse me, miss, please make way," said the Sheriff in a commanding voice. He pushed his way through the crowd of onlookers, who had gathered in front of a house where a tragic incident had occurred. "Everyone, please move out of the way. I am the independent Sheriff of Norton, and I have been alerted by the civilians that someone has fallen from the roof of this house."

The Sheriff approached the circle of people who had formed around the house. The air was thick with tension and unease, and the onlookers all looked worried and concerned. They parted reluctantly as the Sheriff made his way through the crowd. It was clear that they were all eager to find out what had happened, but were also hesitant about getting too close to the scene.

There, he saw a seventeen-eighteen-year-old kid's body on the ground, lying completely galvanized. The head had burst open, and blood oozed out, completely drenching the kid's body. The sheriff took action immediately as he used his walkie-talkie to contact one of his assistants.

"Jamel, contact the Norton Police Department as soon as possible. This is the seventh suicide in these five months," he blared through the gadget. There was a static and out came an "On it," from Jamel. Within minutes, the NPD arrived at the suicide spot, and all the cops started the scrutinization regarding the issue. One of the cops, who was the captain, went closer to the sheriff as they shook hands.

"What the hell is going on with our city? Is it that cursed? Just fifteen days ago, when the sixth suicide occurred, many parents who have teenagers migrated from our city, something must be done," the sheriff cursed under his breath.

"I propose we bring an expert forward for this case," the captain recommended.

"Don't we have many already?"

"Yeah, but someone well-versed with this kind of sh.." But before he could finish, the sheriff interrupted him.

"No, don't say you're thinking about him."

"Of course I am. He's a genius and experienced as well. He's perfect as he could easily drag us out from this shamble."

"Are you out of your mind? He is a god-damn psychopath! Don't you remember he almost got you killed because of that damn lost girl, who turned out to be dead and was killed by her father?"

"Yeah, but we have no other option, Newman. I've already contacted him, so now there is nothing that can be done, as he must be on his way already." Newman groaned with exasperation.

"God, please kill me. I don't wanna live now in this disrespectful, disregarding, and non-meaningful life," he roared as he unfolded his hands, held them straight and parallel to each other, raised them above his shoulder, and spread his palm dramatically towards the sky.

"Oh, stop with this nonsense. Bluffing will not help these kids, but a step in their truth's direction would be meaningful for them. And as we were talking about him, there he is, Mr. A.S.," the captain said, pointing toward me. I was taking my sweet time as I walked towards them. Newman looked disgusted, but the captain, whose name was Simon, saluted me even though I almost killed him.

"Oh, no need for that, just a handshake would be brilliant," I said, as I lowered his hand and shook it firmly. I extended my hand to the sheriff, but he almost spat at me.

"Sorry, I don't shake hands with criminals," he mocked. Why the fuck was he so arrogant, yet I've apologized multiple times. Well now, I won't even take it polite with this bastard.

"Talk about yourself first," I countered. He clenched his fist, but this dispute was ended by Simon, who barged in between us.

"Oh, just shut up with this bullshit. We have a bigger problem than your fits between each other. A.S., please come with me." By now, the cops had already collected the body and were already transporting it for the autopsy report, as one of the cops, who is also a part-time doctor, reported that the kid was dead. Simon seated me in his car and gave a mandate to one of his officers to drive us back to the headquarters.