Catalysts

"I'll take him back to his room and make sure he doesn't get into any more trouble."

With a little help from Everett, Damien got Victor's limp body over his shoulder. My beta then marched out of the library to go drop off my panicked brother in the Jeep.

A groan and a sigh mixed together in my chest. Massaging my temple, I turned to face the ghosts and offer my apologies. However, neither Violet nor Jesse looked that insulted by his fainting spell. Though their expressions weren't particularly positive either. Instead, Violet looked after him with a motherly frown and Jesse pouted with disappointment.

Once the front door shut and officially blocked Damien and Victor from view, the youthful-looking ghost turned her attentions on me with a rabid sort of hunger in her eyes.

"So, how old is your brother? Does he have a job? Or is he in college? Or did he graduate already? Does he live on his own?" She shot the questions out with rapid fire speed. She did pause as if she needed to take a breath—not that she breathes anymore—but I still didn't get a chance to answer. Instead she launched back into her questioning in a more morose tone. "Does he have a girlfriend?"

"I, uh, well he's twenty and in college, but I think he's graduating this year. He probably has a job part-time but nothing fancy."

As I relayed my answer to the eager ghost, I realized how many people were left behind to wonder where Victor was—friends, professors, classmates, coworkers, and most of all, our parents.

I pictured our mother and father hearing from police that Victor's roommates reported him missing. They'd have a moment or two of utter disbelief before the reality that both of their children have disappeared hits them.

My mother would crumble. My father would go mute.

What if they think we're dead? What if it's too much for them? What if their hearts are broken beyond repair?

As my own thoughts tumbled, I felt a warmth spreading through me. It felt like sinking headfirst into a warm, therapeutic bath. It eased my muscles and slowed my trembling heart. Still it could not make the fear go away.

"Thanks," I told Everett through our mental link. "I just miss them. I don't want them to do anything foolish because both of us are missing."

"You'll see them again, Delilah. Once we get through this mess, we'll figure out the best way to reach out to them."

His large hand rested on my shoulder, giving it a squeeze before gliding over to my other one so his muscular arm wrapped me completely.

"I think that's enough, Jesse," said Violet. "Delilah has a lot to contend with and she doesn't need you quizzing her."

"What?" snapped the daughter, the indignation casting her aura in a reddish hue for a short moment. "I'm just trying to get to know her brother. I'm sure she's got to be excited to see her family again." Her body rippled as she turned in on herself like a ball. "I was."

"I know, dear. But, we must remember that just because we relinquish our first lives for a second, it doesn't mean we've forgotten those we left behind. Victor might bring more than just a friendly face to Delilah."

"Whatever," she grumbled. "I'm going to go do more research on shifting so I can tell Victor all about it once he's feeling better."

Her human form grew fuzzy as she swept across the lobby and right through the door to the basement archives. Violet sighed, but did not follow her.

"Sorry, about all that." She turned back to Everett and I with a half smile. "She may be safe from becoming a Revenant, but she still has the same rebellious streak in her that sent her down that particularly destructive path in the first place."