Chapter 6: Jasper

Monday, February 25

The arm and pink sticky note caused me to lose focus on the meeting. Heather sticks the note on the notes for my meeting. She stands out of the view of the camera. But from my peripheral, I see the slight tilt of her head toward the pink note. Before the words could register, Heather pivoted on the balls of her feet and walked out of my office. The click of the door reminds me of the meeting. The Zoom meeting continued even with my attention on the eight words printed on the Post-it.

Jason didn't show up for work or call.

I ball up the pink note and squeeze it like a stress ball. Have I failed as a father? What do I need to do? I knew this time would be different. I had high hopes that he would show up for work today. I didn't think I was going to have to go through with my plan of cutting him off.

I lean back in my chair - the meeting now forgotten. My vision blurs as I stare at the wall - seeing nothing. My mind has become jumbled - with words from the meeting and my many thoughts.

The door creaks up. Heather walks back in with a water bottle. Her tight lip grin is her question. I only nod. Our silent conversation is the only word we will speak on the matter. She leaves me to pull myself out of my mind fuck of emotions to focus on the remainder of the meeting.

You have to let him be responsible for himself. You can't keep carrying him. How will he learn to be a responsible adult?

All I want to do is drive home and shake my ungrateful son. My focus is not here - not today. I should go home to see Jason. I need to understand because there is something I'm missing. I grab my suit jacket and keys when I hear the ding from my computer. A reminder pops up - lunch with Rebecca today. I need to get out of the office.

This will be good. You always enjoy lunch with Rebecca.

🚫

Rebecca chose her favorite restaurant, Warren's, for lunch. The bright smile of the hostess greets me when I step into the restaurant. "I'm here with Boen." I peek over the wall that separates the entrance from the floor. I already spot Rebecca in her favorite seat.

"Right this way, Sir," The hostess states, holding her hand out. I follow behind her. Soft sounds of a piano play through the speakers.

Rebecca smiles and stands when I approach the table. Her smile is bright and welcoming. I forget my troubles for a brief moment when I get caught in her smile. "Hello, handsome." Her breath tickles my ear when we embrace.

"Good evening."

She nods at the dark drink sitting on the table. "I've already ordered your usual. I'm sure you're rushing. I'm so happy you could meet me." Her smile warms me.

Rebecca is a few years younger than me, not by much. Her alabaster skin and long dark brown hair give her a youthful glow. If I ever marry again, she would be my first choice. She has been by my side through some of my hard times.

"Thanks." I drape my suit jacket over the back of the empty chair at the table.

"So, how are things going at work-" She smiles. "...and with Jason?"

"Everything at work is great." I pick up my glass of water and take a drink. "I'm not sure about Jason. He had his girlfriend call me to bail him out of jail. He flies back with her. I give them both jobs - she shows up to work and on time. Jason is at home in bed. I don't know what to do with him." I sigh. "And if that's not enough for a stroke - Jared is in town begging for money. If it's not one thing with them, it's another. I want my son to grow up and my brother to get a life."