Chapter 33: Back in 67

The air hung heavy with anticipation as Joshua, Michael, Hannah, and Lindsey made their way back to the insane asylum, the moon casting eerie shadows over it adding to the sense of foreboding that permeated the air.

As they approached the entrance memories of their previous encounter with Milton flooded their minds causing them unease, but were knowing that they needed answers and Milton was possibly their only hope.

They once again spoke to the lady in the front Joshua and Michael showing their police badges to pass through easier.

They made their way down the hallway again, their footsteps echoing in the silence finally they reached Milton's room again

With a deep breath Joshua pushed open the door revealing the frail old figure of Milton seated in his wheelchair his eyes clouded with sorrow and disparity.

"Milton" Joshua began his voice steady yet filled with urgency "we need to talk to you again, it's about Rache and your old friend Juan, we think your help could benefit us a lot if you could shine some light onto what happened back in 67"

Milton's eyes flickered with recognition as he gazed up at the group before him.
"I don't know how I can help, what brings you back."

Hannah stepped forward speaking
"Juan, well Juan ended his own life in fear of Rache, and we think he's going to be after you and all of us and who knows who else if we don't get clues on how to trap him back into the book."

Milton shocked
"Did you get the book?"

Michael nodded
"Yes but we don't know how to read it, right now our friends Tyler and Emma are at the library trying to figure out how to do so."

As Milton absorbed the weight of their words, his expression shifted from confusion to concern the memories of his past seemed to flood back, each word stirring up a storm of emotions long buried beneath the surface.

"The book" Milton murmured "Rache was trapped in that book when Juan stopped him." but its secrets are not easily unlocked it's a bunch of rhymes and riddles, it doesn't tell you anything easily but I remember exactly how Juan trapped him now, it's all coming back to me." Milton's gaze drifted off into the distance lost in the labyrinth of his memories as he continued "The book is ancient" he began his voice trembling with the weight of years gone by. "It contains knowledge that should never be wielded by mortal hands it contains ways of summoning demons for your desires."

Hannah's brow raised with concern as she listened intently "But we need to understand it Milton, we need to find a way to stop Rache before it's too late."

Milton then coughed and spoke more
"Let me tell you what happened in 1967, let me tell you my story, and the story of how Juan trapped Rache all those years ago."

As Milton began to recount the events of 1967 his voice quivered with the weight of decades-old memories each word laden with the pain of the past.

"It all started with a guy named Hatcher" Milton began his voice cracking "He was a troubled soul, he was bullied relentlessly by his classmates at the school." I guess he found solace in the darkness and in his despair he summoned Rache, he thought it would help him, he thought the demon would fulfill his life and make his rage better, but he was wrong."

Hannah and Lindsey exchanged uneasy glances the gravity of Milton's words weighing heavily on their hearts.

"Hatcher's summoning Rache unleashed a torrent of chaos and destruction." Milton continued "Rache slaughtered 27 students at the school and I was nearly killed in the process, so was Juan, but I was listed as the lone survivor, It was unimaginable horror, Juan was blamed for hiding information about the murder and was fully blamed for my condition."

Joshua listened intently, all of the pieces of the puzzle slowly falling into place.

"But Juan he was different" Milton declared, his voice filled with admiration "He was a brilliant man back then and he saw through the madness to find a way to stop Rache."

Michael's jaw clenched with determination as he absorbed Milton's words the weight of their mission pressing down upon him like a leaden weight.

"Juan sacrificed everything to save us all" Milton continued his voice tinged with sorrow "He used the ancient tome to trap Rache once more but it came at a terrible cost, my legs were taken from me and my sanity and Juan was driven mad by the ordeal and framed as a maniac."

The group's eyes widened with horror as they realized the full extent of Juan's sacrifice the danger of their situation becoming all too clear.

"But there is some hope" Milton proclaimed his voice ringing with determination
"There is a way to stop Rache and trap him, but it will require great sacrifice, but nobody is really sure what sacrifices will work to trap him but the question is are you willing to pay the price?"

The group was in disbelief of what to do
What did Milton mean by sacrifice, did it have to do with what Juan and Milton did years ago.

Joshua thanked Milton for his time
"Thanks for everything, you helped us more than you know, if Tyler and Emma can decode the book even a bit, then we have a real chance to solve and fix this."

The group left the asylum with new found hope on how to stop him but also a feeling of dread on what would need to be done.