Prologue

-Year 993, New Fuuhzan Calendar-

-East Fuuhzan-

Though the night was clear, the smell of a brewing storm was heavy in the air. The moon was nowhere to be seen either; it was truly dark on the temple grounds.

Two robed clergymen ran as quietly as they could, each holding a paper lantern that did very little to illuminate their way. They were running along the long wide walkways, past all the student quarters straight to the High Monk's chambers.

"My Lord," They said in unison as they knelt before the door, "Our apologies for the intrusion."

"What is it," A deep calm voice responded quickly, "You may enter, I am not asleep."

"Thank you, My Lord." They said in unison, again, before sliding open the door, entering and sliding it shut behind them.

They knelt at the foot-side of the bed and watched as an elderly man sat himself up. The small amounts of illumination coming from their lanterns made the wrinkles in his skin seem cavernous. It also drew all the attention away from the strong piercing gaze coming from his luminous eyes, which were particularly impossible to miss in the darkness.

He nodded their way.

"Yes, My Lord," One of the two men began, "The seal is breaking."

The old man's expression turned stern before throwing off the covers, getting up out of bed surprisingly quickly and in one swift motion. He effortlessly moved towards his robe that had been hung on a hanger against the wall to the left side his bed.

"Then, fetch the girl," He began as he dressed himself rapidly, "And tell Elrond it is time."

He fastened the rope around his waist before turning back to his visitors, "How long do we have?"

"Day break, My Lord," Responded the other man, "At best!"

"Then we must go at once." The old man said as he finished adjusting his robe.

The old man waved to dismiss the clergymen, waited for them to leave the room before walking over to the furthest corner from the door and opening a sliding cupboard.

He ruffled aside a few things while looking for a very long leather sleeve that stood about as tall as he was.

So the time has come at last! He thought to himself as he carefully pulled it out of the cupboard. He didn't take any time to admire it, however, before searching for his slippers and running out of the room himself.

He made his way quickly around the corners and quietly passed the prayer halls towards the gardens. Unlike the men who had come to warn him, he no longer needed light to wander the grounds of the Shoi Ni Temple, which had been his home for many years now.