Act 1

-Year 997, New Fuuhzan Calendar-

-South Fuuhzan-

Afternoon had turned to evening as two hooded travellers made their way southward through a dense forest. The warm air was pleasant and the aromas of grass and a warm breeze were reminiscent of summer. Birds were chirping, insects were buzzing and whizzing around, and the gentle breeze could be heard as it ruffled through the leaves of the trees with careless elegance.

After spending several days going through dense forestry the travellers were about to have their first change of scenery as they are about to reach a sparsely populated plateau. As they reached the end of the plateau they could see the valley ahead, how far it still stretched and decided this spot would be perfect to set up camp for the night.

The sun was now firmly setting, obscured in part by a large mountain ahead, whose purple distortion mixed with the oranges of the sky to give the illusion of the sun dipping into a pool, slowly swallowed out of the sky.

One of the two was tall and wearing a backpack, while the other one was shorter and holding a staff.

Their long hooded robes covered them from head to toe, which was how they liked to travel outside their home region. Anonymity played an important role when travelling, as you can never know who or what you may meet on long journeys, especially considering their line of work.

Being an exorcist for hire comes with its own set of intricacies and though they had only been travelling together around four years, it only took them a few weeks to discover it easier just to travel incognito.

Feng, the smaller traveller with the staff, found herself thinking back to their early days together in this moment while they inspected the area they just arrived.

At the same time, Kaiko, the taller one with the backpack, ruffled some bushes and kicked into some shrubs to ensure there was no one around.

They had found a good spot to set up camp for the night next to some trees by the edge of the plateau.

Just beyond those trees was a gradual downhill, a long misty valley and eventually the looming mountain that stood tall, casting a massive shadow over them as the sun was swallowed out of the sky.

"So, is that the infamous ghost mountain?" Kaiko began dismissively as he dropped his backpack.

"I'm not impressed." He continued as he untied a bundle of branches from the side of his backpack.

He then paced around a bit, kicked some dirt around before digging into the ground with his hands, leaving a small ditch. After inspecting it for a moment he picked up the branched and dropped them in.

"Are you really going to keep that joke up with every ominous-looking mountain we see?" Feng replied with an air of irritation that was palpable, "Because we see a lot of those."