Chapter 9

T/W: Minor mention of sexual intercourse.

***

Steve

"She is fine." I give Dave a Look as I set the last of the boxes down. I glance over. Lex is in my kitchen, along with her mom, already unpacking my dishes, towels and food. I smile as I watch her.

"I like her," Dustin comments.

"I never said I didn't like her," Dave retorts.

"You'd better not have been giving her shit already," I threaten. Grant and Jay join us, carrying in the last of the chairs.

"I was only looking out for you, man." Dave gives me a Look of his own.

"Thanks. But I'm good." I step over, addressing everyone. "Once everything is in a decent place, I'm taking you all out to dinner."

"Woo!" Dustin punches me I'm the arm. "Thanks, Steve." I grin.

"You all deserve it." Lex turns, giving me a faint smile.

"Thank you, Steve. That's so nice of you," Shari, Lex's mom says, smiling at me.

"No problem."

***
Lex ends up sitting beside me when we go out to dinner. Everyone seems to be having a good time and enjoying themselves.

"This was really sweet of you to do," Lex says, leaning closer to me. I smile. Lex touches the tattoos on my arms. "I like these." She draws her fingers across my arms.

"Thanks. Some day I'll tell you about each one."

"I look forward to it." Our eyes lock and it's as if nobody else is around. It's just Lex and I, locked together in our own little world. Our food arrives and we dig in.

Lex seems happy just listening to everyone else talk. Occasionally, she'll lean against me or touch my hand or just give me a smile.

No wonder Tim fell in love with her. She's such an incredible person.

I behave myself, though. Which isn't hard to do, since Lex and I have an audience. I take note of how protective both Grant and Jay are with Lex. And even her mom, although she seems to be okay with me.

***

After dinner, Dave and Dustin decide to head back to Palm City.

"You sure you don't want to crash at my place tonight?" I ask them. Dave gives me a sly look and Dustin claps me on the shoulder.

"Nah," Dustin says. "We'll be good."

"All right. Thanks for all your hard work."

"No problem." I hug my friends and tell them goodbye and wave them off.

"I think we'll head out, too, sweetie," Shari tells Lex.

"Okay, Mom. Thanks so much." Lex hugs her mom, uncle and Jay and they take off.

"Then there were two," Lex says, smiling.

"Yup."

"If your invitation extends to me as well, I'd love to crash at your place tonight."

"You sure?" I ask. Lex takes my hand.

"Definitely. Can we swing my place first, though so I can pick up a few things?"

"Sure thing."

***
Lex

When we return to Steve's new apartment, we immediately find some bath towels and jump in the shower. (Separately.) Although we've, ahem, had sexual intercourse, I still feel a little shy about getting too comfortable that way with Steve.