When we first met

I stood quietly, leaning against a wall, as I felt the ship moving slowly. My father sent me a letter and a document about me have to give to a man from the Port Mafia, called Ace. He said it was important, after all, he was the one working in Meursault, so yes, I’m here now waiting for him to appear or one of his colleagues to. Then a short man approached me with a bit of a gloomy look on his face, then spoke with a more formal tone.

- You must be Miss Catherine, right? – He asked with a bit of stutter at the beginning of his sentence.
I gently nodded with a faint smile as I held the document.

- Follow me, Miss, I show you where he is. – He said as he turned away, then started walking.

   I quietly followed him. We went down a stair and got into a jail-like level, cells, and many men with a collar around their necks, just like the one who led the way in front of me. All their expression were pathetic and sad, how obnoxious. Then the man before me stopped when I approached Ace, he was “talking,” having a bit of an aggressive chat with his co-workers and one of his partridges. That criminal was a tall, bit of malnourished man, wearing a straitjacket-like cloth.

- How can you treat our guests like that?! Give him normal clothes and something to eat and drink! – He shouted in a deep voice, like he was better than them, how rich!

Then Ace approached us with a fake, cocky smile, which I hated so much.

- Oh, my shame for this kind of greeting, let me introduce myself. – He said with a delusional, submissive tone, then gently bowed.

- My name is Ace, and you must be Miss Catherine, right?

- Yes, I am indeed.

- My pleasure to meet you, a woman like yourself. – He said as he confidently extended his hand to give me a hand kiss.

   I gently nodded with a fake smile, then I gently placed my hand in his one, receiving a filthy hand kiss. I quickly pulled away my hand from his, and I wiped off the small peck when he wasn’t looking, making the partridge chuckle.

- I brought you the document that my father wanted me to give to you. – I said as I held up the document like it was a piece of child-drawn paper and not a secret one.

- Wonderful, thank you, Miss Catherine. – He said with a selfish grin, then took it from my hand.

- … If I may ask what you are doing exactly, I’m quite bored. When will we arrive back in Yokohama again? – I said quietly, knowing that the partridges shouldn’t know that we’re on the surface.

- The usual, my boss asked me to get information out of the assumed leader in the “Rats in the House of the Dead” organization. – He said as he glanced back at him with an annoyed look.

- I see, I see, good luck, I guess. – I said with a fake smile as I stepped back, wanting to go back to the ship’s other level.

- Perhaps you are afraid that something bad will happen to your fragile figure, Miss Catherine? – He said with a smirk, which made me disgusted.

- Oh, no, not at all, just bored, you know I had much more important things to deal with today, and not just lazing on a ship where nobody is interesting enough to have a proper conversation with. – I said with a light chuckle, then I went back to another level, leaving him there with an annoyed expression.

   After that, I sat down on a couch, crossed my legs, and continued dazing out as I played with my hair. After an hour or so the ship got back to Yokohama, then I saw the same partridge standing in front of me with a stoic, bored face. I looked at him with a bored but intrigued expression.