(Short Story)

It was quiet

It was quiet.  Too quiet.  I carefully scanned the village.

"Wait... where are the kids?"

"They're out with Hypno."  Purple rolled his eyes.  "Amber and Unstable are with them, too.  Apparently it's Hypno's pranking day."  I frowned, confused.

"What?"

"The only day Sabre allows him to prank people.  They're targeting the Orange Village today."  he explained.  "Apparently Bright had a lot of ideas."

"What happens if they're caught?"  I asked.  "Won't the Orange Steves be..."

"They have dye on."  Apparently, Sabre was listening in on our conversation.  He and Tonic both walked over to us.  "Amber made it for the occasion.  They all look like Orange Steves today."

"...Wait, you can do that?"  I gaped.  I kept trying to imagine Hypno and the kids as a hoarder of Orange Steves.

"Yes?  I kind of insisted on it."  Sabre shrugged.  "I'm not worried about Hypno, because he's experienced.  It's just everyone else.  I wouldn't have let them go at all, but it's a tradition."

"A tradition that nobody has heard of until now."  Tonic added.

"Um, we've been kind of busy the last few years."  Sabre pointed out.  "Besides, it's only been Hypno until this year."

"I want to go..."  I decided.  "I've never been pranking before."  I glanced at Sabre, who looked a little melancholy.  This isn't the first time.  He seemed sad for most of the week.  "Why don't you come too?"  His face scrunched up.

"I don't usually leave the village on its own."  He hesitated.  I crossed my arms.

"Hypno took all the kids, plus Amber and Unstable with him.  Do you really think Tonic's going to have any problems?"  There was a beat of silence.

"I... guess not."  A small smile crept onto the non-steve's face.  "Okay then, as long as we're careful."

"Would you like to come, too?"  I turned to Purple.  "We could prank the Violet Village, if you want.  I'm sure you know it like the back of your hand."  He flushed bright pink.

"Um, sure?" he agreed softly.

"Perfect!"  My smile brightened.  My head was already swimming with plans.  "Tonic?"  It would be rude not to invite the doctor.

"No thank you."  He put one hand on his medicine bag.  "I'd rather be here, just in case."  His expression turned thoughtful.  "But while you're at it, you might as well take these."  He rummaged in his bag before tossing us a set of lavender potions.

"What are they?"  Purple asked first, examining the liquid.

"Potions of invisibility."  Tonic said solemnly.  "And you will not tell the other group about them.  They're bad enough as it is without being invisible."  Sabre nodded seriously, but all I could focus on was incredulous delight.  Not even Origin had the ability to turn himself invisible.