2. The dragon

Chise feels uncomfortable and grabbed onto Elias coat. The further they go the thicker the fog went around them; they could hard see a thing. With the sounds around them, it was hard to tell if they been followed. To make sure they don't track any attention, they stayed quiet at all times. Chise looked around her, she could only see some shapes of rock and bones lying around, bones of all kind of creature...even humans.

Elias noticed her shivering and pulled off his coat to warm her. For a minute, they stood face to face with each other, as suddenly, red eyes appear behind the Mage. Chise tried to warn him, but it was too late.

In an instant, he was hit by a giant tail and was thrown into a bunch of bones.

"ELIAS!"

It was a big mistake to yell out, as the eyes looked toward her. She didn't know what to do, as it approached her. The closer it came, the more she can see what she is standing up against. It was the skeleton dragon. He was right above her as his jaw widened to release a fire.

"Chise!!!"

A black dog appeared in front of Chise ready to bite the dragon's neck. It backed off and tired to get his hands on the black fairy. "Ruth! Watch out!"screamed Chise as the claws hit him hard, throwing the dog towards her feet.

The dragon stood up, lifted his head up and roared loud; it was unbearable for them, as they have to cover their ears. Unfortunately it wasn't a good sign, as Elias knew what that meant "Stick together...we get company!"

Out of every direction were red eyes now, dragons and other beasts, covered in bones and a bit of fur surrounded them. They didn't know what to do. The dog, Ruth, barked at them to back off, but they kept coming, nothing they do frightens them. Feeling hopless Chise wanted to help Elias. She didn't want her family to die like this; she didn't want them to suffer, like her. She noticed, as the skeleton dragon moved his head to the mage and was ready to charge at him. As quick as she can be, she ran towards him and pushed him aside. The massive claw caught her shoulders and he flew with her over the hills. Neither Ruth nor Elias could help her, since they had to deal with the other creatures around them.

At the same time the dragon stopped at the top of a hill. It kept Chise in between its claws, to prevent her from escaping. He lowered his head towards her ready to eat her, as a bird of fire distracted him. It flew around him and burned it at several areas to make him lose focus. In the process, he let go of Chise, as she tripped and fell into a massice crack beneath him. The bird made the dragon lose its balance and fell down the hill.

Chise is hurt badly and was about to lose conscious, as she noticed the bird flying to something...human. At least she thought it was human, the silhouette looked like one. Closing her eyes she felt something picking her up as her world became black.

Meanwhile Ruth and Elias had to run for their lives. Ruth was too weak and as for Elias, he knew that these creatures were ancient...and very powerful...too strong for him to handle. It worries him that he cannot protect Chise against stronger opponents. But then again, he couldn't even save himself just now; their only chance was to hide in a cave nearby, till the next morning.

In another cave Chise woke up, she could smell something delicious; she can see something sitting at a fireplace. It was covered in fur and had a skull head, but underneath, she can see a human jaw. Chise moved a little, till she winced in pain; she was bandaged at one side of her shoulder. The skull has looking in her direction from her voice.

"Ah, finally awake then?" It said. It turned around to reveal itself. It was a young woman in fur and leather suit, wearing thick furry boots and on her shoulders was the coat of fur attached. She kneeled down before she gives her a bowl of soup. She took the skull aside to let her hair loose, then she gives Chise a smile "Eat, you need your strength".

While eating, Chise had some questions towards the young stranger. To her surprise, she as quite open and answered without any hesitation, she informed Chise of her rescue from the dragon, that it is still alive though, so they have to be careful. For her kindness Chise told her about their mission. She doesn't seem to be surprised though.

"Ah I see. The skeleton dragon has always been a pain in the ass, it always tries to eat me too" she laughed out loud "so I guess you want to get rid of it?" Chise nodded "My master might be of help to you, we should go there now before its dark." She packed up her supplies before grabbing Chises hand. Chise didn't feel comfortable to go with her; after all she doesn't know anything about her. "Who are you and why are you here?" she tried. The stranger looked back at her and smiled "My name is N/A and was raised in this canyon and ..." she pulled on Chises hand "...I am a Mage of the new generation... just like you Sleigh Beggy."