|| prologue

On the 12th hour of the first day of October 1989, 43 women around the world gave birth.

This was unusual only in the fact that none of these women had been pregnant when the day first began.

Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer, resolved to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible.

There was eight of them,

Number 1: Luther - The strong one
Number 2: Diego - The Knife Boy
Number 3: Allison - The Rumour
Number 4: Klaus - The conjuror
Number 5: Five - The time-traveller
Number 6: Ben - The Horror
Number 7: Vanya - The Ordinary one
Number 8: Tessa - The Favourite

Tessa was the most special one, she had a true gift to electrocute people.. For herself, at least. Reginald Appreciated Tessa more than he did with the others. They had a closer bond, But you're probably wondering why? Reginald hated children? But there was something about her that he could see him in her.

"In five, four, three, two..."

"This is Jim Hellerman, reporting live for Channel 2 News outside of the Capital West bank at Main and Sixth."

"A group of heavily armed men stormed the bank not three hours ago and took an unknown number of hostages." The reporter says to the camera.

As Luther rambles about some plan he had concocted for the mission they were on, Tessa finds herself dozing off while listening to him. She shakes herself awake as he mentions her name.

"Tessa, you're going to electrocute them by using your ability, Energy Manipulation," Luther says, looking up at her as they huddle in a circle.

"Okay," Tessa says, yawning from boredom. Luther continues with his little plan, which she suspects will likely go awry. She isn't amused by his request for her involvement, though it's the kind of thing they grew up around and live by.

"Okay, let's go get these bastards," Luther says, his excitement palpable. Tessa can't help but roll her eyes at his enthusiasm. "Daddy's boy," she mutters under her breath before following him into action.

"Hey, get them behind the counter! Now you've put me in a position where I gotta do something I don't want to do. Hmm?" the man says, speaking through a walkie-talkie, his voice laced with frustration and menace.

A younger girl with brown curly hair, her hands behind her back, walks up to the man. "Shit! Hey, get back with the others!" he says, spotting the girl and urging her to return to the group.

"I heard a rumor," the girl says quietly to the man. "What? What did you say?" he responds with confusion. "I heard a rumor that you shot your friend in the foot," she says, her hand cupped around her mouth as if sharing a secret.

The guy's eyes turn white, and he turns to his friend, pointing his gun at him. "What the hell?" his friend exclaims. Without hesitation, he shoots him in the foot, and his friend falls to the ground in agony.

"We just heard shots from inside the bank. It's uncertain if any hostages have been harmed in that. Up there! There's some movement on the roof. Possibly law enforcement," the reporter says, conveying the tense situation unfolding at the scene.

All of a sudden, a blonde boy jumps through the roof and lands behind the counter. He picks up one of the burglars and slams them onto the counter before hurling them through the window.

"Looks like one of the armed robbers has been thrown from the bank," the reporter says, clearly shocked by the unexpected turn of events.

"Guns are for sissies. Real men throw knives," a boy with dark hair says as he runs and throws two knives, each veering off in a different direction and pinning a burglar against the wall.

"I've been in many hostage situations like this, and it can escalate very quickly," he adds, his tone indicating the seriousness of the situation.

"Get back, you freaks," the bad guy says from atop the counter, pointing a gun at the kids as they stand there, unfazed.

"Be careful up there, buddy," one of the younger ones says, offering a cautionary remark.

"Get back now!" the bad guy retorts sharply.

"Wouldn't want you to get hurt," the brunette girl says calmly, while the one with dark curly hair can't help but snicker at the tense situation.

"Or what?" a boy says, sitting cross-legged atop the counter, seemingly appearing out of nowhere. The armed bad guy turns around and shoots at him, but the boy disappears, leaving the gunman shooting at thin air, looking rather foolish.

The boy then spatially jumps behind the bad guy, folding his arms as the older man turns around to shoot his gun, only to find that his weapon has been replaced with a stapler.

"That's one badass stapler!" the boy says, then using the stapler to hit the man in the head. The gunman falls back, and everyone turns to Ben.

"Although there's been no activity for a few minutes, we're gonna stay live on location to make sure we don't miss anything in this hostage situation at the Capital West bank," the reporter outside says, maintaining their live coverage of the unfolding events.

"Do I really have to do this?" the boy says, sounding scared.

"Come on, Ben, there's more guys in the vault," one of them says, urging him on.

"It's okay, Ben, I'll go in with you," the brunette girl says reassuringly. She walks into the vault with Ben. Through the stained glass, the sounds of people being zapped and blood splattering against the walls can be heard.

The pair walk out of the vault, one with not a pinch of blood on her, and the other covered in blood.

"Can we go home now?" the boy, covered in blood, asks, his voice shaking with fear.

"Now we see the hostages. They... They're free. They're scared, clearly, but they do seem to be unharmed," the reporter says, providing an update on the situation outside.

The group of children walk out of the bank and stand in a line, their numbers in order.

"People are coming out now. It's not the armed robbers. These are young schoolchildren in uniforms with masks on," the reporter continues, noting the unexpected twist in the situation.

They all stand in a line, looking proud and in order of their "numbers," with Tessa positioned at the end beside Ben.

"How did you get in the bank? What happened inside?" a bunch of people ask, coming towards the kids.

Their father appears and walks to where they're all standing. "Our world is changing. Has changed. There are some among us gifted with abilities far beyond the ordinary. I have adopted seven such children. I give you the inaugural class of the Umbrella Academy," Sir Reginald says, introducing them with a sense of gravity and purpose.