chapter two

I glance up at the clock it was now nine o'clock. No mom and dad. Something was wrong. I knew it. I looked around the room. Everyone seemed to have to be having fun but me. Grandpa made his way to me.

"Hey, sweetie," he says

"Hey grandpa,"

"They will be here," he says

"I don't have a great feeling, Grandpa,"

He takes my hand. Time seems to tick by as we just sit there holding hands. Uncle Jas  comes over to us.

"Mr. Starvroce, Starla, the two of you need to come with me, " he says

"What's going on, Jason?" Grandpa asked him

"I need you to come to the emergency room with me," Uncle Jas says

"Emergency room," I ask. "What's wrong?" I ask, standing

"There was an accident, I'll explain on the way. Please, " he says

Both Grandpa and I follow Uncle Jas out to his car.  On our why uncle Jas told us mom and dad had got into a car accident and they were in critical  condition in the ER. The whole way there, I couldn't help but feel like my world was falling apart. I sat and watched out the window as trees flew by in a blur. My heavy tear stained eyes blinked rapidly as I refused to let them fall. When we get there we are greeted with the doctor.

"Mr. Monroe, Mr. Starvroce, " the doctor addresses my uncle and grandpa

"Where's my parents?" I ask

His sad eyes come to mine, and I shake my head. No, this isn't happening, not to me. My daddy was a strong man. He took bullets and has been stabbed multiple times. There is no way a car crash took him out. And my mother she was the sweetest and the most beautiful, caring woman I ever knew.

"Starla," uncle Jas voice broke through my thoughts

"Mr. Monroe, I need someone to identify the bodies, sir, " the doctor says

I fell to the floor as I knew at that moment I would never see my beautiful mother ever again and I would never hear the sound of my father's voice ever again.

I felt as if someone had picked me up. But I don't know who it is. The rest of that night is nothing but a blur to me.

That week, Uncle Jas made plans to have my parents burry. Because Uncle Jas and Dad were so close, he had left him full custody of me. I was, after all, Uncle Jas' god daughter.

The day of the funeral, I felt numb. Moria stood beside me as they lowered both my parents into the ground. Their caskets were matching black and white marble engraved with a rose and their names. Daddy was dressed in a beautiful black tuxedo and momma, a gorgeous black dress.

I heard everyone saying how much it looked like them. But it didn't, not really. My mom and dad were not in there anymore they were a shell of their former self.

After lowering the caskets, all the mourners started to leave. I stand there my head bow.

"You alright?" Sebastian asked he stood on the other side of me

"I knew something was wrong," I whisper. "When they both told me they loved that night, Seb," I tell him, "I felt it."

He pulls me into his side. "Let's go home," he says

"I need to go by the house," I tell him as he walks me toward the car

"I'll take you up there,"

Later that day, Sebastian and Moria took me to the house. It looked haunted without someone in it. All the future that was in it was covered up by sheets now. And everything else was taken out. I climb the stairs to my parents' room.

"This is a safe room, Starla," Daddy had told me once. "If ever you need to feel safe, come in here."

He told me the code to open and close the safe room and told me I was the only one besides him who held this information. I was the only one who could open the doors.

I sit on the king-size bed, looking over at the mommas vanity table.

"Just a little bit goes a long way," Momma told me when she was teaching me to put makeup on

Standing I go to the jewelry box. "You can have anything you want, Starla," Momma had told me once

Falling to the floor, I cry because the only thing I wanted at this moment was my momma and daddy to walk through that door and hold me in their arms one more time.

I don't know how long I sit there crying. Sebastian came up and got me. I packed somethings of theirs and some of my own, then we left the house locking the house up.

I didn't know when I would be back. But I knew I would be back. This was my house, and soon, I would be stepping up to take my family business.

As of now, because of my age, Uncle Jas oversaw the business. Even though legally, it was all in my name, I wasn't old enough to run the business. And Grandpa, even though he still had a foot in the door, wasn't able to be there where he needed to be.

Another reason Uncle Jas stepped up was because I still didn't fully understand the family business.

Uncle Jas made sure I graduated high school, and he sent me off to college with Moria and Sebastian. He made sure I got the proper education I needed to run the Starvroce Industries.

When I came back, I would peppered to take over as head of the Starvroce family. I was raised to be the proper young woman my mother and father wanted me to be.

I didn't know that one night would change my views on the world. When I was younger, I would see sunshine and roses now. I saw through that. My parents' death had been a wake-up call. I saw the world for what it really was now.