6 - Alone against them

The night was calm... too calm. It was 11:59 PM, the cars had stopped moving, the dog hadn't barked all day, and... the grandfather clock seemed so distant. Evan heard nothing, sleeping peacefully... but something kept the little child tucked in his blanket in its gaze. In the room's shadows, two small purple lights fixed upon the boy... He had only a single minute left.

At midnight, nothing happened. But after a few seconds, the discreet sound of footsteps outside his room broke the night's silence. Steps approaching, yet Evan remained asleep. The door creaked slightly, and a broad shadow from the hallway enveloped the boy. Evan's instinct whispered that something was wrong, and suddenly, he remembered. Tonight, and like every other night from this one, he wouldn't be granted sleep. Without even getting up, the boy brandished his flashlight towards the door and switched it on. The light illuminated the hallway... But there was no one there.

Evan furrowed his brow; he had experienced these nightmares before, and normally, he should have been there. The boy didn't realize he was trembling as he grasped the doorknob. Slowly, he opened the door, but kept his flashlight off. Young Evan poked his head out and listened carefully to their breathing... very carefully...

Nothing?

Evan gathered his courage and turned on his flashlight; he saw a figure hiding in the shadow at the end of the hallway. The boy smirked cruelly.

"Did you really think I'd let you come, Bonnie?"

He then tried to close his door, but it reopened slightly. He attempted several times, but it wouldn't close, as if a mysterious force prevented it. Evan remembered that it was normal in his nightmares; he could never lock himself in his room... even if horrible creatures emerged from the darkness to devour him. So, Evan kept the door closed. As the night wore on, Evan began to panic... he shouldn't, he had managed to defeat the bear and prevent the rabbit from coming to him. But he had a feeling he was forgetting something...

"Evan, you seem... lost?" murmured a voice.

The boy would recognize that voice anywhere. Without waiting, he scanned the dark surroundings with the flashlight but... saw no one. Just a simple child's room, plunged into darkness. Reliving this madness seriously made him want to return to the world of the dead...

"F... Fredbear? Where are you?" the boy asked, trying to keep his composure.

"I cannot enter your room, Evan... you strictly forbade me. I may be your best friend, but I respect your decisions..."

Evan slowly raised his eyes; in front of him, there was another door... Odd, he remembered that in his awakening, there was only one door.

"...and unfortunately..."

The door across the room creaked.

"...I won't be able to help you in this slightly unpleasant situation."

Evan furrowed his brow.

"Unpleasant?"

Without warning, the door Evan was holding began to be pounded, again and again. Bonnie clearly wanted to force his way in.

"I can hold it!" Evan assured himself.

"Oh, but I wasn't talking about that, Evan... Let's play a guessing game: what's yellow and has a beak full of teeth?"

The boy aimed his light towards the opposite door and illuminated it, although he was certain it wouldn't prevent the creature from arriving.

"Do you see the problem now, Evan?"