24 [Final]

Toji.

It has been 5 months since her passing. 

4 and a half since her burial.

But it was still fresh. Her last breath that hit my shoulder left a warm mark in my heart. The wuthering wind left a permanent impact on my skin. I ended up in Naobito's place. I felt too sad in my own home, I was not ready to come back. I was not ready to feel her again, even just by presence or spirit. While looking at the wedding pictures, I reminisced everything we went through, and while I did, her voice rang like how she was remembering everything and said it like a story. All italicized.

I rushed to Megumi when he cried.

"Shh... it's okay." I whispered. I walked to the counter to make his bottle which was difficult since I had to make it with one hand. I kissed his forehead and he stopped crying, then his tiny eyes looked at me softly before he reached his tiny arms for my chin. His tiny finger touched a droplet of my tear then his lips' ends suddenly curved down. I smiled and kissed his hand. "Papa's fine." I whispered to him.

I felt somebody take the bottle from me. It was Takeru who smiled at me and silently made the bottle for Megumi. He handed it to me then I gave it to Megumi. Takeru tapped his tiny cheeks before saying "Hey, little guy." 

I thanked him for the help and gently swayed my son from side to side. I looked at Takeru and felt a sting of pain in my chest.

One more thing I couldn't forget were his cries when my wife passed. Yumiko has been an older sister figure to both him and his brother, and I couldn't blame him. It took him just this recent month to finally accept it. I called out to him and he stood up straight ready to take orders from me, but I gave a soft smile.

"Thank you for taking care of her for me." I said. When he realized what I said, he leaned back onto the counter and gave a soft smile.

"I miss Mrs. Fushiguro's stubborn requests." He said, his lips quivering once again. "I-I'm sorry, Sir... I-I just couldn't..."

"I know. We all still couldn't." I said. He wiped his tears and held himself back from crying. 

"I'm a little sad that Naoya couldn't meet her like Toya and I did. He would have liked the feeling of having an older sister by his side." He said. This is one of the traits of the twins that I can never cease to admire. The way they care for Naoya as if he was their real brother by blood, and how they always think about him in every situation. A few months when ago when I was still learning how to take care of Megumi on my own, they always thought of Megumi. When they go shopping, they buy him extra stuff, when I have to rest, they watch over him. 

"I am sure she is happy. She's watching over us." I said. I looked at my son who pulled away from his bottle. I carefully lifted him and rested his tummy on my chest to make him burp. It reminded me of the way his mother lifted him up for the last time. "You know...

If it weren't for this miracle, I would have been doing nothing since I lost her. When she passed, Megumi made me feel like she never left. It almost creeps me out everytime." I chuckled and so did Takeru.